• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Plastic Coating Spray Paint For Composite Landing Gear Legs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBuilt101

I want to coat my composite landing gear legs with a plastic-like coating.

I was hoping to get the clean and smooth gloss white look to the gear legs and I spent lots of time getting the carbon fiber sock to lay smooth and then I coated it with epoxy/glass beads and then sanding...sanding...and primer filling...and wet sanding and then sprayed on the white paint however the Duplicolor paint that I can get here in California just plain sucks... because it is easily chipped and scratched. After spraying and respraying and letting it sit for a week it looks really nice glossy and smooth (the look I was going for) however I can easily press my fingernail into the coating and practically chip it out with my fingernail.

I have looked at Plastidip however I wanted to get some feedback from people who have some experience with this either on cars or composite gear legs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plastidip-Plastic-Rubber-Paint-400ml/dp/B000981AA2

There is the truck bed coating however I really want to avoid the texture on the legs and again I really want to (if possible) get the slick glossy white look.

There are other products that I am really considering such as Transtar 4303 Tex Coat Chip Guard however I have no experience with it.

https://www.jbtoolsales.com/transta...lvba58JD9GWzsSYJrjbTr0FDmUd8tuAXMshoC6Zbw_wcB

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can use. Naturally I really do not want to have to sand these legs down to the bare carbon fiber because I do not want to damage the fibers.

THANKS for your feedback and experience!!!

Back