Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 3D Printer build

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

3D Printer build

Santa got me a 3D printer for Christmas but since it's a kit she wants me to have it built in time to surprise me with it on Christmas morning

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	printer2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	57164 Here it is after 2 or 3 hours of assembling. It's a Chinese knockoff of an open source Prusa I3 (1/3 the price). So far I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the kit. The plans are in a dialect of Chinglish that I'm familiar with so it's going together pretty fast.

Name:	715V5mSjUsL._SL1000_.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	57165 Here's what it should look like in a day or two. When I get it dialed in on ABS and PLA I'm going to see if I can make some real parts with NylonX.
    Iēsous Christos, Theou Yios, Sōtēr

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: 3D Printer build

I wonder if the resolution on it is good enough to print embossed aircraft + manufacturer logo data plates. A good first experiment for you. If so, I gots requests... ;-) Everybody else, form a line behind me...

Soon you'll be mass producing non-critical unregistered gun parts in no time... :-P
    CHOPPERGIRL@AIR-WAR.ORG ~ Dorothy ~ Alice ~ Flying with Christina ~ Unchained Melody ~ Titanium ~ Follow Me ~ Facebook ~ Shenanigans
    My Six Swords of Freedom: disobedience defiance resistance revolution sedition & sabotage
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. By definition, those that obey, must be slaves.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bootleg data plates are typically silk screened and I have a nice little metal shop setup for making and/or "fine tuning" gun parts.

This thing is for making airplane parts. ...I hope. Maybe I can use it to make a robot T-88 mixer/squirter

4. Likes Topaz liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very nice. I've been looking into the possibility of making one using parts from scrapped printers & photocopiers.
    It is possible - if you have a rather older system than mine, you can even get software to generate 3D models for all the fittings (Retr3d).
    Unfortunately, it needs considerable hacking to get it to work with the latest libraries - just not enough time.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How strong is that NylonX compared to Spruce, or Aluminum? (thinking... bigger bed carriage... ultralight wing ribs... probably better to just cut them out of a sheet of carbon fiber though)

Not sure what other components you might make, except maybe custom mounting hardware or other stuff for inside the cockpit. Seems like metal or wood would be the go to raw material for just about everything else structurally airplane related, if you have a shop.

Post some pictures of the first attempts at making something with it, even if they come out aborted.

Ben Heck uses his 3D printer a lot to make custom project boxes and parts for his funky circuit board builds....
    CHOPPERGIRL@AIR-WAR.ORG ~ Dorothy ~ Alice ~ Flying with Christina ~ Unchained Melody ~ Titanium ~ Follow Me ~ Facebook ~ Shenanigans
    My Six Swords of Freedom: disobedience defiance resistance revolution sedition & sabotage
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. By definition, those that obey, must be slaves.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After you get this up and running, you should start making video's showing how to use on of these. Something for the layman like myself who has never used something like this but would like to. Kinda a how to for dummies....Wait did I just call myself a dummy... You could even do a video on how to build this from the kit as you did. Building this, some as myself could do. Operating it or making parts, I kinda doubt with my knowledge I could do that, not without some schoolin...lol

Tony

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FritzW View Post

knockoff of an open source
    Isn't that an oxymoron?

Quote Originally Posted by FritzW View Post
    The plans are in a dialect of Chinglish that I'm familiar with so it's going together pretty fast.
    Build you good friend. Best we make!

If you need any translation just PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoKu View Post
    The vast majority of engineering failures are the results of failure of imagination rather than failure of calculation.

Registered User ScaleBirdsScott's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's thousands of hours of how to 3d print videos already out there anyone with any inkling of wanting to make one has plenty of resources available to do the task.

These kits are cool. If you really want to get into nice materials I suggest against using whatever extruder came with the printer (unless it's a high end unit and even then...) and using a high end eftermarket extruder setup. I've got years of use on a makerbot and almost all major issues with printing come down to a good extruder setup. The motion and control is cheap and easy. Getting the plastic to flow reliably is the hard part.
    Designing and Building WWII replica fighters. US Dealer for Verner Motor
    Learn more at www.ScaleBirds.com

10. Likes cheapracer liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by N8053H View Post
    After you get this up and running, you should start making video's showing how to use on of these. Something for the layman like myself who has never used something like this but would like to. Kinda a how to for dummies....Wait did I just call myself a dummy... You could even do a video on how to build this from the kit as you did. Building this, some as myself could do. Operating it or making parts, I kinda doubt with my knowledge I could do that, not without some schoolin...lol

Tony
    I'm with Tony, only worse. Wish I knew more, no, more like anything.
    Pops

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by choppergirl View Post
    Not sure what other components you might make, except maybe custom mounting hardware or other stuff for inside the cockpit.
    Lots of possibilities...

http://eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=5232453840001
    ​simplify.

13. Likes choppergirl, proppastie liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought basically the same printer last month when it was on sale for $166. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/maylan-m150-i3-us-plug.html Mine came pre-assembled...I only needed to install four screws and connect a couple of plugs. The learning curve is not all that steep if you do a little googling and reading.

I've been able to create some parts in Sketchup and print them out. Here is a servo mount for an RC servo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1370.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	57172  

15. Likes mcrae0104, FritzW, jmt1991 liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    I'm with Tony, only worse. Wish I knew more, no, more like anything.
    Google "how to use a 3d printer". That should keep you busy "learnin" for a while.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

She's finished!

Total build time was 5 or 6 hours (an hour of that was wrapping that silly spiral cable management stuff around the wiring). The only complaints with the kit were a few holes that weren't tapped deep enough (easy fix) and a few "C" clips on the bearings had to be massaged (tedious fix). Otherwise it went together like an Erector set. And lit off on the first try.

Name:	printer3.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	57181 Lots of wiring but it was all pre-made and well marked (in 17 languages).

Name:	printer4.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	57182 She fired right up and worked as advertised. I started tuning it up but figured I'd better wait until I get a piece of glass for the hot bed (99 cents at Hobby Lobby).

The first things I need to do are:

1) Add an on/off switch (now it turns on when you plug it in)
    2) Add proper belt tensioners (now they're "pull tight and tighten a screw")

The second things I need to do are:

3) Replace the hot end (part that melts the filament) with a higher temp hot end so I can use more exotic materials.

3a) Replace the brass nozzle with a stainless one for the same reason as #3

4) Replace the silly spiral cable management stuff with a proper 43-13, rib lacing cord wrap. ...or maybe print some nice cable trac.

The goal of all of this is to add a nice dual head extruder to my 4x8 CNC machine (with 6 or 8 300x300 hot beds)) and print a snap together airplane ...someday

18. Likes cheapracer liked this post
    Registered User ScaleBirdsScott's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I suggest going with E3D extruders/hotends if they are compatible with the unit, but you'll spend almost as much as the printer itself on them.
    Designing and Building WWII replica fighters. US Dealer for Verner Motor
    Learn more at www.ScaleBirds.com

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

21. Likes FritzW, mcrae0104 liked this post