Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 3D Printer build

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: 3D Printer build

I totally agree and I was surprised too even though composite props have been around for ages.
    I really wanted to get a printer early on but I'm glad that I waited as now is really the time to get on board if you havent already.The quality that can come from a decent hobby printer these days is quite amazing and it's only going to get better.They have really turned the corner from cool toy to functional tool for just about everything.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyZ View Post
    I just stumbled on this and figured I'd share it here.

Needless to say I was quite surprised and to be honest with a little bit of optimization I probably wouldnt hesitate to run one on a little back bay/lake boat.I actually mangle quite a few props yearly on my skiff crabbing and at $60 a pop they add up pretty quick.
    But if they'll hold up there who knows what else we can do.
    So. now we scale the print bed up to 80 inches by about 12 inches and print Catto out of business?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think 3D printing today is wear 8086 computers were at back in the old days, powerful enough to do some real work but we had no idea what they would lead to.

5 years from now we'll look back and laugh that we thought it was pretty cool that you could print a boat propeller or a flap handle for a Waiex
    Iēsous Christos, Theou Yios, Sōtēr

4. Likes mcrae0104, BobbyZ, cheapracer, JLT liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

next stage is wire feed so to speak, feed a continuous piece of CF tow, with the plastic, one would need a cut off if the plan is to have breaks, however I would think with a little innovation in design and software one would not have to break the feed except at the end.

Registered User ScaleBirdsScott's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by proppastie View Post
    next stage is wire feed so to speak, feed a continuous piece of CF tow, with the plastic, one would need a cut off if the plan is to have breaks, however I would think with a little innovation in design and software one would not have to break the feed except at the end.
    You mean like this thing?

https://interpromodels.com/markforged/

I work with this company for prototypes and the MarkForged makes some really nice parts. And the printer, while it is expensive for the individual, isn't so expensive compared to many professipnal printers that are multiple tens of thousands per unit.

While I wouldn't use the parts for building aircraft primary structure, secondary structures would be plenty viable.
    Designing and Building WWII replica fighters. US Dealer for Verner Motor
    Learn more at www.ScaleBirds.com

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FritzW View Post
    And finally, a little table to hold the printer:

Attachment 57577 Attachment 57578 Attachment 57580

Attachment 57581 I have to get it finished and get the printer off the dining room table before the Memsahib get's home. ...and the garage is too cold for the glue to setup
    Fritz, do you have information on the internet anywhere about your CNC router? I know there is a thread here but is that all you have uploaded?
    “The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.” - Mark Twain

“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$hi+.” ― W.C. Fields

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ScaleBirdsScott View Post
    You mean like this thing?

https://interpromodels.com/markforged/

I work with this company for prototypes and the MarkForged makes some really nice parts. And the printer, while it is expensive for the individual, isn't so expensive compared to many professipnal printers that are multiple tens of thousands per unit.

While I wouldn't use the parts for building aircraft primary structure, secondary structures would be plenty viable.
    Well yes but I would think the idea would be to print structural parts, the plastic not a good fit?...so squirt two part epoxy instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
    Fritz, do you have information on the internet anywhere about your CNC router? I know there is a thread here but is that all you have uploaded?
    I've got a CRP4896 from CNC Router Parts. I put the electronics together "a la carte" on ebay. They've got kits on ebay now that really simplify that. I got the biggest air cooled spindle I could find. ...and I control it with Mach3

I watched a bunch of "how to" videos on youtube, put it together, and it's been running like a Swiss watch for 5+ years

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A fiber laying machine (orienting and snipping short fibers) could build up structural parts.
    Or a wire feed welder could make structural aluminum parts.
    I don't know how they do it, but the Dec. Popular Science has a motorcycle with a 3D printed aluminum frame.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I watched a bunch of "how to" videos on youtube, put it together, and it's been running like a Swiss watch for 5+ years
    what kind of things have you chopped out with it?
    “The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.” - Mark Twain

“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$hi+.” ― W.C. Fields

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
    what kind of things have you chopped out with it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170105_211112_resized.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	57649 ...countless (hundreds) of "pretty things": tea boxes, jewelry boxes, wine racks, wine caddies, rocking chairs for little kids, toys etc. (picture is a jewelry box that was rejected because of the chip in the lid).

10 or 15 VP-1 and VP-2 ply sets (ribs etc.) per the plans and modified.

2 or 3 sets of Headwind ribs.

A set of Pietenpol ribs that I used the machine to scan an antique rib then cut out a new set.

Name:	IMG_3101.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	57650 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-10-09 16.06.47.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	57651 an unfinished, all CNC'd, Texas Parasol(ish) fuselage.

The fuselage jig for the Neirrh (I've got a regular XL jig in the works for one of our HBA members)

A crazy modular workbench idea I've been playing with.

Name:	20170105_211144_resized.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	57652 A table for the printer (see post above)

A quick build wood wing

And lots of other stuff I can't think of off the top of my head
    Last edited by FritzW; January 6th, 2017 at 12:16 AM.

13. Likes Turd Ferguson liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ScaleBirdsScott View Post
    ...While I wouldn't use the parts for building aircraft primary structure, secondary structures would be plenty viable.
    If you know the properties (strengths and weaknesses) of the material your using and you understand the limitations of the processes your dealing with, and you design accordingly, there's no reason why you couldn't print parts for the primary structure. ...even with today's printers and filaments. S#it loads of testing needs to be done first but all the elements are in place.

15. Likes proppastie liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are you able to match hole machine for the Texas Parasol

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

] ...countless (hundreds) of "pretty things": tea boxes, jewelry boxes, wine racks, wine caddies, rocking chairs for little kids, toys etc. (picture is a jewelry box that was rejected because of the chip in the lid).

10 or 15 VP-1 and VP-2 ply sets (ribs etc.) per the plans and modified.

2 or 3 sets of Headwind ribs.

A set of Pietenpol ribs

And lots of other stuff I can't think of off the top of my head

That's some cool stuff!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BBerson View Post
    A fiber laying machine (orienting and snipping short fibers) could build up structural parts.
    Or a wire feed welder could make structural aluminum parts.
    I don't know how they do it, but the Dec. Popular Science has a motorcycle with a 3D printed aluminum frame.
    Both exist. Look up "direct fiber placement" or mTorres. Spent the last year prepping to install one of these hanging around the best in the world at it, impressive stuff. There is also already a combo welding CNC milling machine. They are megadollars right now but it all exists and it is out of pretty much existing technology. I've seen demos of rocket and jet engine unobtainium parts being made on these machines. Welds up thin wall as it goes and then mills it down to finish dimensions in one setup. Pretty astounding. Lastly I have seen a demo of a laser sintering machine that can directly print metal parts. Again, expensive but other than some interesting thermo it is a pretty straightforward machine. Only NASA projects seem to be able to use the technology but it is out there. Wonder if and how long it will take for a homebrew MIG and mill machine will come to be. Most successful robotic welding rigs I have seen are MIG. Another thing that is always out there is just printing wax for lost wax molding. That can be done right now at home easy. Melt and pour are the hard part but that is just money and space.
    Jay K.

VT USA