Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 3D Printer build

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: 3D Printer build

Mine came with a piece of paper with links to youtube videos showing how to build it, they were pretty good.
    Iēsous Christos, Theou Yios, Sōtēr

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I finally got the VP-1 rudder tube bushing to print correctly with ABS.

I used a heavy layer of hair spray on the glass bed (window pane glass from the hardware store). Bed temp was 80c, extruder temp was 240c. I printed it on a "raft" and everything stayed nice and flat and stuck to the bed until it finished and was almost cooled to room temp. Then it pretty much popped off on it own.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161225_221955_resized.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	57370 I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get it off the raft...

Name:	20161225_222008_resized.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	57371 ...but it peeled right off.

3. Likes Turd Ferguson, jmt1991 liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FritzW View Post
    Mine came with a piece of paper with links to youtube videos showing how to build it, they were pretty good.
    It's mostly assembled. The Z axis jack screws are causing stepper motors to bind up so I cleaned the threads with a file and now have it so the nuts will freely run up and down full length. Part II today.........
    “The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.” - Mark Twain

“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$hi+.” ― W.C. Fields

5. Likes FritzW liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I finally got the VP-1 rudder tube bushing to print correctly with ABS.

I used a heavy layer of hair spray on the glass bed (window pane glass from the hardware store). Bed temp was 80c, extruder temp was 240c. I printed it on a "raft" and everything stayed nice and flat and stuck to the bed until it finished and was almost cooled to room temp. Then it pretty much popped off on it own.

Name:	20161225_221955_resized.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	57370 I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get it off the raft...

Name:	20161225_222008_resized.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	57371 ...but it peeled right off.
    Might want to destructive test one of these,,,,,(just how strong is it?)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by proppastie View Post
    Might want to destructive test one of these,,,,,(just how strong is it?)
    3D printer I am assembling with my son is basically constructed from 3D printed parts. Seems the most useful purpose of a 3D printer is to print more 3D printer parts!

I guess ultimately, application is only limited by the type filament available. If can get to the stage of printing with carbon fiber...............
    “The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.” - Mark Twain

“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$hi+.” ― W.C. Fields

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I plan to do that but there are so many different filaments and ways to handle the internal structure of a part it's going to be tough to come up with "apples to apples" way of testing them.

It seems like every school with a 3D printer is flooding the internet with white papers on the mechanical properties of different printer filaments and printing methods. I've got lots of reading to do.

But the first step for a new guy like me is to figure out how to print a decent part to begin with

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
    I guess ultimately, application is only limited by the type filament available. If can get to the stage of printing with carbon fiber...............
    It looks like the high end quad copter guys are using NylonX (Nylon and carbon fiber) to print their racers. You need a steel nozzle to print the stuff but they're pretty cheap.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The one EAA video was of fairings mostly, there was one nylon bearing, You said rudder post tube bushing,,, and now you are out of the class of non structural parts. (I think, not exactly sure where it is on the airplane or what it does). Designing for flight critical parts is lots different than non structural parts, as I am sure you know.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It looks like the high end quad copter guys are using NylonX (Nylon and carbon fiber) to print their racers. You need a steel nozzle to print the stuff but they're pretty cheap.
    Random chopped fiber mixed with the plastic is way not as strong as uni/tow or woven with resin....It is stronger than the raw plastic.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The one EAA video was of fairings mostly, there was one nylon bearing, You said rudder post tube bushing,,, and now you are out of the class of non structural parts. (I think, not exactly sure where it is on the airplane or what it does). Designing for flight critical parts is lots different than non structural parts, as I am sure you know.
    On a VP-1, I think the OEM rudder post bushing is plastic or nylon or something similar......

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It seems like every school with a 3D printer is flooding the internet with white papers on the mechanical properties of different printer filaments and printing methods. I've got lots of reading to do.
    I'm in no hurry. Just summarize on 6th grade reading level and post here when done.

14. Likes FritzW, jmt1991 liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
    On a VP-1, I think the OEM rudder post bushing is plastic or nylon or something similar......
    I believe there are some really tough nylons (nylon 6?) and then maybe not so tough. Bearing design is not trivial, but as a guess I would think bearing strength Fby and wear are the important factors. The fiber reinforced plastic should wear better.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

...Designing for flight critical parts is lots different than non structural parts, as I am sure you know.
    Yes, I do. And for me printing real parts (structural) that will go in a real airplane, if it ever happens, is a looong way off. But you can't test a part unless you can print it. This is just the very beginning of a never ending educational process. ...and I gotta start somewhere

Random chopped fiber mixed with the plastic is way not as strong as uni/tow or woven with resin....It is stronger than the raw plastic.
    Obviously, but it's probably the strongest material I can print with my humble little printer, and the most chemical resistant (PLA and ABS won't work for that reason).

Registered User ScaleBirdsScott's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For rudder bushings on our p40 I looked at 3d printed setups for a brief minute, but ultimately, using a sleeve of Acetal tubing is so cheap @ around $8/ft, that we went with that as the solution.

I pretty much only will be using 3d printed bits on the P40 for fairings and small details in the cockpit.
    Designing and Building WWII replica fighters. US Dealer for Verner Motor
    Learn more at www.ScaleBirds.com

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The plans call for Teflon but most folks use Nylon or Delrin. The plans also call for them to be glued in, no bolts (ever try gluing something to Teflon?)

I've made several sets (machined, not printed) for myself and the guys on the VP newsgroups. The loads are very low and very well understood. And the most likely failure mode would be wearing out and not a catastrophic failure, even if one broke.

The scarry thing would be using a CF impregnated bushing on an aluminum tube (they don't get along). But my next VP rudder tube will be CF and the interface between the mating surfaces will be Teflon so that's not a problem.

...but this is a printer build thread and I'm waiting to see some of TF's build pictures