Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 3D Printer build

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: 3D Printer build

FritzW, how much did you pay for it and what is website. I might want to get one myself if it is cheap enough. Print quality is not important as I am just using it for visual prototyping.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator168 View Post
    FritzW, how much did you pay for it and what is website. I might want to get one myself if it is cheap enough. Print quality is not important as I am just using it for visual prototyping.
    I agree info and more info please...

While one could as was pointed out, search the web and make some little boat or something. Why not have a member of a group like this start a thread to teach the members how to use one of these. Instead of making a little boat start out making a small control cable fairing or whatever they are called. That is something that could be used if not on ones airplane maybe on ones RC airplane.

I have done quite a lot of research on these. Heated tables seem to be the big issue as does multi heads if I remember correctly. I did this research about a year ago maybe a little longer. What I found was, purchasing the printer was the easy part. Operating it not so much. I elected to drop the idea of owning one and making parts, not without first taking a class on how to program the darn thing.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What I found was, purchasing the printer was the easy part. Operating it not so much.
    Using the software to draw the exact thing you want is much more difficult. 3D printer makers failed to see this. There are not that many people know how to make CAD drawings.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The experienced 3D printer guys might have better suggestions but this is what I did:

I bought this one. It was $259 when I ordered it, now they're $280. I guess the closer to Christmas we get the higher the price goes. ...starting December 26th I bet the prices start falling

Here's a good youtube review of the ANET A8 printer

There might be better choices out there but I got tired of looking, at some point you have to pull the trigger or you'll never get started (there are hundreds of choices in the <$300 range). The criteria I used were:

1) Open source. From reading the 3D printer forums this is almost mandatory.
    2a) It was based on the Prusa I3, very propular, lots of options and almost generic compatibility.
    3) RepRap (able to make it's own parts) this one only has two parts that are 3D printed but has lots of printable upgrades.
    4) Shipped from North America from a company that would replace broken/missing parts.
    5) I watched the assembly videos and decided they were good enough to let me get it built.
    (ANET A8 assembly videos on this channel)
    6) Able to handle lots of different materials
    7) <$300

I wasn't looking for a dual extruder because they add $200/$300 to the cost of the kit but only cost ~$100 to do yourself. They add lots of complication if your just starting out (like me). You can do a lot with "break away" supports so I don't need a second extruder ...yet

I'll post any "new guy lessons learned" as I go along.
    Iēsous Christos, Theou Yios, Sōtēr

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator168 View Post
    Using the software to draw the exact thing you want is much more difficult. 3D printer makers failed to see this. There are not that many people know how to make CAD drawings.
    I'll post something on using the EAA version of Solidworks to make a part for printing. Maybe the Sketchup could also. It's not as hard as it looks. It's just the first few steps of the learning curve that are tough, after that the curve flattens out.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The first part off the printer was almost a keeper. It's only a test piece, a tailwheel cable fairing for the Waiex. I'm not even sure if it's the right size, but it was quick and easy to draw. (more on that later for the CAD impaired )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161219_214658_resized.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	57198 it's about 2/3 done here, the zig-zag stuff in the middle is a breakaway support.

Name:	20161219_222925_resized.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	57199 Finished. There was a glitch in the bottom layer that messed up the flange a little but I'm pretty happy for a first try.

7. Likes cheapracer, mcrae0104, jmt1991 liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I pretty much did the same as you ordered https://www.amazon.com/Arrival-HICTO...top+3d+printer about 2 weeks ago and got it up and running a day or so later.

So-far I have managed a few parts but mostly have been spending my time calibrating extrusion width and such parameters to optimize the output quality.

Defiantly a fun tool to mess with on these cold days. I have the student version of Solidworks from EAA and use it to produce the CAD files.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For really basic basics you could try "FreeCAD 3D Printing 4Kids!". The first 3 volumes are on scribd: http://www.scribd.com/doc/290097187/...olume-1-Robots, http://www.scribd.com/doc/290099501/...ume-2-Pendants & https://www.scribd.com/author/860082...ored_documents.
    Not quite free, but, I would think, a good intro for someone with zero experience.
    I don’t know enough to know how much I don’t know.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Tim View Post
    There's a youtube channel called FliteTest that made the P-38 and it came out pretty nice.
    I'm not a huge fan of all their latest "VLogs" but they have some great content nonetheless and are full size experimental guys too.The one has a nice Pietenpol and the owner of the air field the shoot video from has a RV too.

Congrats on the printer,I'm looking to try and grab one after the holiday on sale myself.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyZ View Post
    There's a youtube channel called FliteTest...
    I love those guys, I watch all their stuff. Their air-to-air footage from the FPV quadcopter is amazing.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another project...

We needed a flap handle for the chapter (555) Waiex build:

Name:	Waiex flap Hamdle one piece 2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	57315 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waiex flap Hamdle one piece 1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	57316

Name:	Flap handle 1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	57317 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161222_162049_resized.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	57318

Name:	20161222_233848_resized.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	57319 The picture doesn't do it justice, it came out really nice.

12. Likes mcrae0104, BobbyZ liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hainesengineering

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice handle,once I get setup I hope to eventually use mine to do some molds for casting.

As for FliteTest,they really have helped open a lot of doors for people in the RC flying world .They've helped bring costs to a level that just about any family can get involved and deserve a lot of credit.Especially for giving plans away for all of their designs.It's nice to see someone have success while doing things for the right reasons at the same time.I just wish they had pushed their "Full Scale Friday" segment a little more.It really would have introduced a lot of people to Home Built/Experimental aircraft and lord knows General Aviation needs the boost

But that's enough of a derailment.Although with guys like that and todays tech like 3D printing getting better and becoming more affordable. I really think in the next 5-10 years we'll see even more advances.Hopefully in the future we might be able to just buy the files for a home build project and be able to print and machine most of everything from home.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

what does it take as input cad wise. do you massage the cad data, do you need a third party package to use it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1) In your CAD software you save your part as an .STL file (simple "save as", I think every cad software can do it).
    2) Open the .STL file in a slicer package (software that slices your part into print layers) I'm using Cura 3D because it's free and a lot of the guys on the 3D printer forums seem to like it.
    3) In the slicer software you can either use the default, "recommended" settings or you can tweak them to improve the print.
    4) Save the file to an SD card and put it in the printer -or- If your PC is connected to the printer with a USB cable, save the file to your PC. Select the file from the printer and hit "print".

Some CAD software has a slicer built in or one that can be added so you can "slice" right from your CAD software, ...but I don't want to muddy the waters

17. Likes proppastie liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My son and me are building a Prusa Mendel i3 rignt now. There are no instructions!! The hardware went together with pictures, not too bad, wiring is a little more challenging, the final adjustments should be interesting............
    “The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.” - Mark Twain

“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$hi+.” ― W.C. Fields