• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

replacing plywood construction with cored composite panels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyZ

I'm currently looking at a plywood/foam design that uses a VW engine for a first build.While it is a great plane it's a little over 103 weight and I think it could be made to comply with the use of lighter materials and a different engine.

Now before this turns into a thread on the pitfalls of redesigning a plane and all that is involved I want to say that I'd most likely pay to have someone go over the changes.But before I proceed and spend the money I want to do some rough calculations on my own as a learning exercise.

I know they also have different characteristics but I've worked on boats where we've substituted honeycomb panels for structural interior bulkheads that originally were designed for marine ply.So I figured it wouldnt be a massive undertaking.

So in essence would it be feasible to replace the older style ply construction with a newer sandwich style composite?

Ideally I'd like to redesign the plane to lose some weight and gain a little interior volume and I feel its possible.But I have no clue as to where to look to get started.

Back