• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Self Taught Pilot's License - Single Seat Sport

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daleandee

Like many of you I've often pondered how we might invite more people into the wonderful world of aviation. We talk about the cost of aircraft, maintenance, hangars, & insurance but the cost of training is pretty steep also as is the availability of instructors. So I'd like to open a discussion on the possibility of a pilot's license where the student is self taught. I'm not talking about people being allowed to kill themselves but rather an approach that meets somewhere between FAR-103 and Sport Pilot.

The concept is rather simple in design. It would allow a person to receive a low speed (less than 87 knots - the FAA likes that number) single seat only, no medical pilots license with training of the applicants choice. Much like learning to drive where a person is taught by their parents, grandparents, a friend or even a professional driving school with an instructor.

What would be required is for the applicant to take and pass three very thorough tests i.e. oral, written, and flight given by an FAA examiner or an FAA representative. Training could come from many sources including computer simulators, actual instructors, fellow pilots, reading material, etc. In the end the examination by testing would prove whether the applicant knew the material and could handle a single seat, low speed aircraft, in G- only airspace.

I have no idea if this would/could work or even how to propose such a crazy idea. Thoughts?

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
Tail Wheel - Center Stick
Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
134.4 hours / Status - Flying

Back