• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fuel tank plumbing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmatt

I'm adding a set of strut mounted fuel tanks to my plane similar to the one pictured.

fueltank.jpg

You can see the fuel pickup line coming out of the top of the tank and there's a fuel draincock on the bottom. (picture is cut off but I'm sure it's there)

The tanks that arrived here didn't have the hole on the bottom for the fuel draincock and so I drilled and tapped a 1/4"NPT hole and installed one. So far, no problem.

Now I'm starting to accumulate bits and parts to put together the fuel pickup line. And then it just hit me: why don't I simply drill and tap a second hole on the bottom and install the fuel pickup line there? Why draw from the top?

The only upside to the top draw fuel pickup is that I can leave an inch or so to prevent sediment and debris from entering the fuel system. But I could just insert the bottom draw pickup an inch up into the tank and achieve the same advantage, couldn't I?

Back