• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Dear Proppastie...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plncraze

Supporting Member
I am very sorry to hear about the results of your load test. Please do not stay away a long time because moments like this are a great time to have the resources of this group.

When reading about the load test I was wondering if the issue might have been a local crippling of a flange rather than a complete failure of your analysis. The original Dragon was wood which has different buckling characteristics than very thin aluminum and this would make stability of attachment points more critical. On the LAA website http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/ there are a couple of technical sections and if memory serves some of them discuss buckling failure where all the strengths were met but a local instability caused something that looked like an absolute failure. Chris Heintz talked about some of this in his book http://www.flyingonyourownwings.com/. We will pause for here for 601 wing comments. The best description of local crippling failure I have heard is the one about standing on an empty pop can and tapping the sides. The can is just fine till the sides are not parallel then it collapses.

You built what you had very quickly and if you could figure out what caused the failure you could be back to where you were even sooner.

Back