Thread: Hello from Edmonton, AB!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello from Edmonton, AB!

I've been interested in flying most of my life, but I've always loved racing cars and dumped most of my money into that.. now I'm growing up a little, I've done most of what I want to do with building race cars and am looking for a new adventure, so here I am.

I don't generally like to do things the easy way, so that rules pre-built aircraft out, besides, most of the pre-built ones that I really like are worth more than my house.

I'm definitely still very early on into the learning process, and don't even have my PPL yet (though I'm starting gliding school shortly!), but I love to learn and have been reading the forums for a while before deciding to register.

As far as what I'll build - I haven't decided yet, though I definitely like a few designs, and I've even thought of building a larger scale flyable warbird replica.

Anyways, hi!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Hello from Edmonton, AB!

Welcome ! We're glad to have you here, you have arrived at by far the best and most useful/interesting/fun place on the internet for those interested in experimental and small airplanes.

Most important question first... what kind of flying is it that you think you want to do? High speed point to point, aerobatics, bush flying, camp/hunt/fish in remote wilderness, antiques, warbirds, gliders, amphibious or seaplane operations, solo adventures, you and the wife, take all seven lumberjack sized kids flying?????
    "Everything in this book may be wrong."
    Richard Bach, Illusions

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome.

Have you joined the EAA?

There are several threads here about what to build and whether to buils first or lesrn to fly first.

BJC

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome!! I had planned a trip to Edmonton by way of Michigan ND this year but just haven't caught up with the work on my house enough to take off... I wanted to visit Chris Falconar up there (Falconar Avia)... I bought plans for two of his planes... one is being constructed as I have time... I'm retired (more or less) and would love to move to Canada for awhile, but my wife is a doctor and licensed here... anyway welcome!!!! This hands down the best place to hang out digitally ....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Bravo View Post
    Welcome ! We're glad to have you here, you have arrived at by far the best and most useful/interesting/fun place on the internet for those interested in experimental and small airplanes.

Most important question first... what kind of flying is it that you think you want to do? High speed point to point, aerobatics, bush flying, camp/hunt/fish in remote wilderness, antiques, warbirds, gliders, amphibious or seaplane operations, solo adventures, you and the wife, take all seven lumberjack sized kids flying?????
    Not even sure yet. I love the idea of STOL back country camping stuff, I've always loved going fast and high G forces, etc... Quite a few things. I like eccentric/weird planes as well, one of my favourite planes is the OV-10 bronco, which is kind of a flying acrobatic minivan. I have put a lot of thought into building an 80% scale replica of one, but I don't know even remotely close to enough about aircraft design yet to consider starting on that... probably going to be a little while before I learn enough to attempt something like that!

I'm mostly looking to learn more about aircraft design theory at this point, and figure out if what I want to do is possible in the first place.

BJC - I haven't joined the EAA yet, but I plan on it.

rbrochey - Thanks!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome Terrh!
    It is great to have you onboard. I note that you are interested in building more independently than a kit, and have STOL in mind, so perhaps a set of plans from Zenith Aircraft would be too your liking? You have a proven and simple aircraft that you can build from plans with multiple engine choices. Here's the website if you have not been there, and there's a Canadian Zenith too of course. http://www.zenithair.net/ There are very helpful people on the builder forums (owner only) and some "moderately" good assembly instructions that would help.

I'm doing it the easy way with a kit for the Zenith Cruzer which is based on the STOL 750, which was most likely based on the STOL 701.

Wayne

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Terrh View Post
    I'm mostly looking to learn more about aircraft design theory at this point, and figure out if what I want to do is possible in the first place.
    Check this thread for some references about design theory. http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/fo...ead.php?t=8950

BJC

8. Likes Terrh liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that link. Orion was a fantastic part of this forum, I was upset to learn of his passing after reading so many of his posts.

I still have a lot of reading to do though, I just ordered some books on design!

10. Likes BJC liked this post