• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New member, returning after getting sidetracked regarding spruce

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToAirIsHuman

Hi All,

I just posted in 'The Light Stuff'. I have a little bit of a crazy idea of building a very small electric WIG airplane. It's all over the place regarding inspiration but I think there is something to it. I started reading this site years ago and after taking the advice of many folks who said the best place to start building an airplane is by building the wing ribs, I did just that. A few things interrupted the next faze of my build but one positive thing was regarding the spruce I bought. See I'm a musician and I build my own instruments. When my first shipment of spruce arrived (from aircraft-spruce of course) I was mesmerized. I finished the wing ribs and then started building guitars with this beautiful wood. http://nycsewer.com/bluerooster/index.html. A new thing started and the plane got put on hold.

Anyhow, I am moving into a new place soon with just the right set up for me to continue my project. But I am a creative type with just enough book smarts to get me into trouble. Aviation experience wise, I just got to the student pilot level. Flying solo in a glider was fine for me. I liked to ridge soar and I could stay up as long as I wanted by the mountain or in thermals on days I flew so I was comfortable as a pilot. Not super high with the hours though but I liked flying the old gliders. I flew a fancy fiberglass one once with the HUGE bubble window and it was so perfect I felt like it was a video game. I like getting tossed around a bit and the 233 trainers I flew made me happier and were more the speed of the falcons near our airport and I liked their company when going around in circles. As far as a builder; I have built enough good sounding instruments that look different to know I am adding something to that game. Airplanes move air around too so I hope I find my touch with this project. I have an engineering background but not in aviation. I have spent enough time on my build that I don't want to abandon it and being I am making it in wood I am glad it will have that aviation design beauty I have seen in some of the old wooden gliders I see in the hangar. So even if it never flies maybe it'll look nice.

I hope to move forward with the next step in my build. I have just spent the better part of today reading the latest posts and I love the energy on this site. There are some great experienced builders and other folks dreaming of something new like me. All the comments are positive even if they bring some birds closer to the ground because they will live to fly another day.

Anyhow looking forward to hearing from you all and learning what you are up to as well.

Back