• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Solid-core, vacuum infusion, and reduced finishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
So, I solicit input on an idea, recognizing the unlikelihood that a "new way" will be a "better way."

What if we used a standard solid-core wing form (with spar built-in, per Rutan), and took a lot of pains to get it very smooth. Add our glass or carbon layers dry, put a sheet of "semi-rigid" material on top (e.g. polyethylene of about 1-2mm, "milk-jug thickness"), and did regular vacuum infusion (resin in, resin out, under vacuum). Hoped-for advantages/results:
1) A uniform layup with a high glass-resin ratio and no/minimal voids (high strength, low weight)
2) Like all vacuum infusion, plenty of time to get the reinforcing layers "just right" without the time pressure of epoxy that is setting up.
3) Exterior surface smooth and free of weave, requiring very little filling. Flat, due to care taken with male mold and the "smoothing" of the semi-rigid sheeting on top.

I don't know what type of filler would be best on top of the foam as a filler in order to get it as smooth as possible. I also don't know if this method would cope with the high spots where glass layers are doubled at the edges.

Is this method already used? Ridiculous??

Back