• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Estimating wing weight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcrae0104

Supporting Member
I ran a wing weight estimation using the equation Raymer provides in Simplified Aircraft Design for Homebuilders (p. 108) and got strange results: 282 lb--way too heavy for this little sub-1,300 lb plane (details below). Raymer also suggests a metal wing could weigh 1.1 to 2.0 times the area (exposed planform) which would result in ~140lb. I triple-checked my math, then checked his Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach--same equation provided (p. 460). Hmm, no typo in the equation. I then checked what Gudmundsson had to say in General Aviation Aircraft Design. He reproduced Raymer's equation but also supplied one from Nicolai. This equation provided a much more favorable estimate of 137 lb.

Anybody else get wacky results from these statistical methods? I didn't expect they'd be perfect; I'd be happy with +/- 20% but +/- 200%...? I would chalk this up to some mistake on my part but I did it manually and using Excel. If anyone cares to wade through it and point out what I'm missing here I'm all ears.

wing weight estimation.jpg
scan_0441.jpg

Back