• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

A lighter wing design, will all metal wing be design to way less than fabric covered?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpainCub

Hi all,

Been toying (more like climbing a steep learning curve) with the idea of building a lighter wing for a popular class of airplane... with the addition of a new design as far as airfoil is concerned.

Well, the initial thought was go composites for a design... I finally concluded that a D-Spar for the front spar (two spar design) was the optimal weight to strength ratio for my design, specially since most of the load will be in the front spar... Still struggled to get a spar design for the rear spar settled that was backward compatible with airplane to use an the thinner airfoil in consideration.

Well, after further thought and some more calculations (man I dream in XLS now) I have come to the idea that you might just get a lighter wing if design in all metal... not like the carbon+fabric idea I had originally envisioned (and CFD seems to agree.)

I then came upon this image,

13718582_10207856364501988_1390213382252728179_n.jpg

Here you can see RANS new airplane, and the concept of a D front spar from EXTRUDED AL. Looks a little heavy, but they plan to test to 9+6- which is way out of where I was headed... 6+4- for normal category .

In CF, I get the D-Spar, here? I'm not following other than the build time advantage. To me a Z shape metal spar would have enough strength but the longer built time...

Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 00.33.45.png

Thoughts?

Back