• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

All Purpose Propeller Diameter {between TO/ climb and Cruises} is selected how?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lendo

I've used Stinton's formula for Prop Diameter i.e. 10,000 *(4th Root or P(bhp)/ 53.5*RPM^2 * V(tas)). Now I can better define the Cruise rpm I can identify the Cruise TAS, I have the Max RPM and therefore Max TAS.

'Sadraey' suggests that for Straight and Level Flight just over 50% Power is required - I have settled on 55%.

Given Climb is at Max RPM my Question is:-
How to select the 'compromise propeller' diameter between the 2 parameters i.e. TO/climb and Cruise?
Is it - look at both and pick something in between?
If not what balance might be suggested?

All things considered like prop/ground clearance issues.
George (down under)

Back