• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wing Attach Methods: Cabanes, Pylon, or Direct Attach

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

Just thinking out loud here (well, typing my thoughts anyway).

This is for my tailless design, that I am working in. At this time it looks like it will be a high wing with a single seat pod. Also, at this time, the pod will be completely enclosed for streamlining.

There are three ways to attach a wing to a pod.

The first is with cabane struts, like a parasol design. The second is a single pylon. Both of these place the wing above the pod.

The third method is making the wing stubs a part of the pod, essentially the roof of the pod. This is what I have been working on, but I do not like the way it is looking. Because the wing root has a twist of over +8 degrees I have to make the pod taller in order to have enough headroom.

If I use a single pylon, I suppose it would be streamlined which would be good, and I can size the pod to fit me without any other concerns---something like a modern high-performance sailplane.

I know I have seen some aircraft with the wing being pylon mounted, but I can't remember the name. Maybe some old free-flight model from the 1930s? Any other examples?

Are there any guidelines for how far the wing should be above the pod?

Back