• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Would a Sonex fit my mission? or bushby mustang?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rnwy13

I've been researching the Sonex a bit and like the economy and performance of it. I have a specific mission that I am considering a Sonex for. I need to be able to commute to several different airports within a 70 mile radius of each other and my farm strip quickly and preferably economically.

My farm runway is short... Currently its only about 1500 ft. It's also grass and not entirely the smoothest (no big bumps just a little rough). I know an rv4 would just about fit my mission perfect but I am drawn to the performance economy of the Sonex as well as the low purchase price of used builds.

I'd really appreciate some advice from those of you with experience with Sonex. Heres my questions:

how rugged is the landing gear in terms of rough grass runways?
does the plane handle well with gusty winds, 15-30 kts?
does the plane handle thermal turbulence comfortably (as can be expected)?
what can of be expected for take off and landing performance with a 200 pound load on a 100F degree day?
what do they actually cruise at with the 80hp engine?
what are the things to look for and watch out for when buying a used build?

There is a used bushby mustang at a local airport that has been a hangar queen for a while. I have considered buying this for my mission as well but was turned off by the long take off and landing roll. Anyone with experience In a mustang that could help provide insight on those questions above?

lengethening my farm grass is an option but I'd rather not give up the crop ground unless I have to.

thanks!

Back