• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Kolb Firestar 2 airframe Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
I have just purchased a completed Kolb Firestar 2, and so the Firestar 2 kit I was building is now for sale.

This is a MOSTLY complete basic airframe kit, but it is missing some parts. All missing parts are available from Kolb or from materials suppliers. Kolb Firestar kit #FS 636, "welded cage" number F1203. Late 1990's vintage. Fuselage NOT powder coated, but was hand painted with some kind of protective material or paint to prevent corrosion until powder coat or epoxy at some later date.

MISSING PARTS:

Tailboom tube (5" OD x .049 -.053 6061-T6 or 6063-T8 extruded tube, available through Kolb or Tube Service Co. Original kit tailboom had been damaged by original builder, see below)
Elevator Hinge/Yoke mechanism (available through Kolb or can be homeuilder fabricated, was missing when I got it)
Wing fold U-joint assemblies (available from Kolb, was missing when I got it)
Two main wing ribs (damaged by original builder when he had to remove them from the tailboom... he started building one of the wings accidentally using the tailboom tube as the spar !) (Complete ribs available from Kolb, or can be built using plans provided)

WORK COMPLETED:

All but two main wing ribs built per plans, built very well and cleanly by original builder
All "false ribs" (bent tubes) fabricated correctly by original builder
Tail surfaces built by me, using "alternate" method of rib attachment shown in Kolb plans as an optional upgrade.
(two stabilizers, two elevators, fin, rudder)
Top radius shape of rudder changed for aesthetic reasons, can easily be returned to stock.
Begun mounting one of the spar reinforcement inserts for strut attach

INCLUDED:

Two 5 gallon fuel tanks
Fiberglass nose cone, undrilled, virgin, unmodified, never mounted
Stock (basic, no factory upgrades) wheels, tires, alum. landing gear legs, tailwheel ass'y
Stock seat slings
Stock "open cockpit" short windshield, no "full enclosure" optional material
Two main spar tubes raw undrilled
Undrilled raw tube stock for all trailing edges, ailerons, etc.
Stock round aluminum main wing strut material (no "streamlined tube" upgrade)
INCLUDES fabric "covering kit" Dacron fabric envelopes, but DOES NOT include Stits dope and coatings (I suggest using the Stewart Systems aircraft coating system, yielding a less expensive and lighter covering job with equal strength and appearance)

PHOTOS OF KIT:

Kolb pack_12.jpg Fin Assy and Stabilizers.jpg Fuse Tails Ribs Plans Wheels.jpg Rudder Construction 2.jpg Tubes Spars.jpg Nose Cone.jpg

VALUE:

Even after you buy ALL of the missing parts from Kolb, you will still save thousands and thousands of dollars starting with this kit. The savings from buying my kit will pay for your engine, plus save a hundred hours or more of construction time !

A new Kolb Firestar kit (2 main airframe kits) from the factory is now over $14,000 before any airframe upgrades, engine purchase, etc. This still represents a very good value, because the Kolb is a safe, high quality design with industry-leading performance and features, that stores in the smallest possible space for any UL/STOL type aircraft. The Firestar is an excellent choice for the Rotax, Hirth, or Simonini 2 stroke engines, or the Pegasus O-100, HKS, or other 4 stroke engine. Performance is incredible, even with the smaller 447 size engines.

PRICE:

This can be yours for the positively subterranean price of $3500... no, wait, I see my lovely wife walking toward me now with a smile and holding a basket of cookies... uh oh... that's not a basket of cookies it's a loaded shotgun ! Make that the first $3000 in cash. Hurry and don't let this incredible opportunity (or my life) pass away !

Last edited:
Back