• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Personal Air Vehicle - Hovering trough the streets! - I think i got this!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterMan

Hello everyone, my name is John, i'm 23 and i'm from Brazil.

My english is not much good, but even so i came here to share my idea and i hope i can describe it good enough for you understanding and so we can talk about it.

Here it is: I want to develop a vehicle that is not much bigger than a big car, or a van, so it can cruise trough the streets with no problem, but it would not use wheels, it will hover!

Ok i might sound insane right now, but please keep reading.

How it can be done? Here in my city the roads are not much wide, maybe 6 meters, trucks wide are about 3 meters at maximum, the cri cri aircraft have much more wingspan than that, and i know hang gliders are about 10 meters. Doesnt fit.

Sound impossible, how can something fly trough the streets being so narrow? Also have to be very slow.

So i came up with the rogallo airfoil idea, it is really slow, its not much wide, is perfect. But with 3 ou 4 meters wingspan still impossible to do, wait, don't judge me crazy yet, let me continue...

We all know that homebuilt multicopters can be powerfull enough to lift a person, there is a lot of examples of this on youtube, the downside is that a lot of engines and batteries are needed, about 6 or eight of them at least, but what if we could do it with just 3 or 4?

And what if we combine a rogallo airfoil with some multicopter configuration? It start to sound plausible!

Look at what this guy are doing, he built a 8 engine quadcopter with a seat on top of it, he uses rc combustion engines that are slow to respond to rpm changes then the stability is a issue, and i dont need to talk about safety, the guy is using a cheap rc radio to fly the whole thing! Who is the crazy guy now?

Now lets take this guy as an example, if he hang himself below the props, just like a hang glider, then he could keep all the engines at the same rpm and shift directions using his own weight! Stability issue solved, maybe then he would not enve need the radio anymore cause the only thing he need to control is the thrust and it could be done just like in a motorcycle!

Lets go ahead and suppose he did it, Now what if we combine a small rogallo airfoil where he hang himself with this multicopter type of configuration? Are you starting to visualise my idea?

Lets say we got 4 engines aways pointing up and one foward like an aircraft.

The lift will come from the airfoil moving foward and from the 4 engines aways pointing up.

Please let me know what you think, i'm in work right now but i will come here later with more videos, ilustrations and ideas.

Thank you all and god bless!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back