• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

XFLR5 Question: Zero Moment angle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

A question for everyone familiar with XFLR5...

What I typically do is create a design and adjust the location of the wing and/or masses to get a moment of 0.0 at an AoA of 0.0 degrees with a certain airspeed. This would be using a static analysis.

After this I do a dynamic stability analysis.

My question: Why does the speed and AoA turn out different for the dynamic stability? I would think that if the plane is statically "trimmed" at a certain air speed, then the dynamic stability should have the same trim. That is, after the oscillations die out the AoA and airspeed should be the same as in the static analysis. But what it does is end up with a "speed to balance weight" and "zero moment AoA" that is sometimes quite different.

Sometimes the zero moment AoA ends up so far off that there is a negative lift, at which the analysis gives up.

Anyone else see this? What am I doing wrong?

Back