• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Solar hot air hybrid cloud hopper microliter paraglider balloon airship

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seancrowne

Solar hot air hybrid unpowered airship glider

Aloha everyone, I am new to the forum but excited to start on a project. The goal, to create an easily fly able and transportable airship. I have attached a preliminary design and looking here for proof of concept.

the idea is a cloud hopper sized balloon with a long airship like shape, there will be a rigid harness/housing beneath that will handle all controls and house the propane , which will be routed instead of one giant flame ,through piping to many smaller a flames to keep it afloat, the material will be all black nylon to generate solar heat and a Mylar like bottom to retain heat. The side will sport a paraglider like wing with similar controls to help assist flying and movement, landing soaring etc. the front end will have a release valve to dump air as well as one at the tail section to facilitate movement and descent. The tail will have a line like an airship would for steering purposes as well. The harness will work like a hanglider in that you can lay prone or sit in it depending on comfort, and all controls will be hand accessible. I want all material to be light weight and modern for maximum efficiency. The concept came to me while trying to image a way to move over lava easily and a balloon assisted jumping popped in my head , it would be nice if this could be used in a similar way as a paraglider while jumping on ground to almost fly/ run but have the ability for full flight and soaring. I do not expect it to be fast but I do expect it to be fun.

Thank you you all for looking and contributing to the concept any way you can. Also to peter Lynn kites in New Zealand, whoopie flyers, and Cameron balloons UK for your inspiration.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Back