• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Hello from Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishHobbit

Hello, all:

I am about hour 7 into PPL training, and I'm loving it. I've got the bug. I've been looking into the KR2S for my first project for about a month now, but it seems like a lot to bite off and chew (it doesn't help that my KR2S plans came with missing large prints!). However, I've also been flirting with the Hummel UltraCruiser, but I need some help getting all my options.

I've been also looking at homebuilt ultralights (not for part 103, but because they seem simple to built and an affordable way to fly). The KR2S would be for the wife and I to take little trips (nothing too far), but I really want something to build that is good for me to go out alone and enjoy the view. Just something to get me up in the air until I could complete the KR.

I really like the look of the Aerolite 103, but it seems a little overpriced. I've also looked at the minimax. I would like to stay away from taildragger.

Here's the mission:

- tricycle gear
- doesn't need to go fast
- detachable or foldable wings
- I'm not a very good welder (Old man is a pipe fitter, and I've done side carpentry jobs for over 10 years.)
- Possibly powered by a 1/2 VW (I have a bucket list item to rebuild a motor)
- Under 8k to build.
- Good for just going up and enjoying the scenery
- Would meet the 51% rule
- Not (too) ugly (how I like my women)

I'm not sure what else to include, but I'm glad to be here.

Thanks.

Back