• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Turbo Compounded 3 rotor by Paul Lamar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Aldridge

This project was one Paul Lamar was working on a few years ago and back burnered it for various reasons. He hooked a Detroit Diesel 15 Turbo to a 3 rotor 20B driveshaft to create a Turbo Compounded engine as a demonstrator. It was not suitable for flight as he says just to demonstrate the technology. I had forgotten about it till it came up in discussions about his Time to Climb record attempt and he posted some pics. Below is quoted from his email list about it:

I put a turbo compound on a three rotor. I was invited to the World
Motor Sport Symposium and talked the Formula 1 crowd into turbo
compound so there was no need for me to dyno mine. Mercedes,
Renault, Ferrari and Honda have built dozens of turbo compound
engines, dynoed and raced them in 30 or so races for the past three
years.

Turbo compound is rumored to become available on the RX9.

If so I achieved my goal.

My guess is we are throwing away half the exhaust energy in the TTC
engine.

Paul Lamar

Does that mean you’ve abandoned your three rotor turbo compound
project, Paul?

Dave Klingler

It is way on the back burner. This set up is not suitable for an aircraft.

I would work in a boat.

Do you want to buy it? I'll sell it for $11,000 as is.

I'll deliver in the lower 48. Cost depends on where you live?

Paul Lamar

DD15-turbine [14565].jpgcat-turbo-compound-RPM-V-Temperture [14562].jpgP1140766 [14568].jpg3-rotor-DD15-TC [14559].jpg

Back