• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Full-size Clutton Tadpole?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
169599.jpg
The more I think about it the more I like the tailless layout of the Clutton Tadpole RC model (see https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/...1-new-posts-clutton-fred-site.html#post333876) for a fun little sport plane with taildragger or perhaps monowheel gear.

In return for the complication of tapered and swept wing and an elevon mixer you get to eliminate the horizontal stab and elevator(s) and get a very distinctive look.

The low aspect ratio provides a lot of wing area in a small span for low wing loading but will also mean enough drag at low speeds that flaps won't be necessary for the landing approach angle or to prevent float.

A midwing like this would limit visibility downward on each side but I'd still be tempted to go with it because the top longerons could be completely straight (for building the fuselage upside down on the bench) with the wing just sitting on top.

I imagine something in the Druine Turbulent/Jodel D.9 Bébé size range stressed for larger pilots using a basic 1835-1915cc VW, maybe 150kg/330 lb empty weight target with a 300 kg/660 lb gross to suit both LSA and European microlight categories.

Thoughts? Any of our gifted 3D gurus want to whip up a quick and dirty model?

Cheers,

Matthew

Back