• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cassutt - Construction Techniques & Standards / Tube and Fabric Aircraft Construction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a follow up thread rooted from the original Cassutt thread https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/...-looking-anyone-who-knows-anything-about.html

This thread is started for the purpose of talking about the construction methods used to build and assemble the Cassutt Homebuilt Aircraft.
------------------------------------------------------

I have the wing spars and need to glue them up. (3 spar version, 1" thick each)

I'm hesitating because I don't want to mess these up. Couple things I'm worried about.

1.) The table for clamping. I feel like I should maybe build a temporary narrow table just for the spars, like 7" wide? But that seems like a waste of time. I have to clamp this somehow and on a wide table this seems difficult. Then I thought, what about a jig? Something that lifts it off the table for clamping? And then clamps? Wood pieces with holes on the outside? Or just a bunch of C clamps with wood under them for spreading the load?

2.) Application and order for glue-up. All 3 at once? Or 2, then the 3rd? T-88 shouldn't sit long so I'm pretty sure I'll order caulk tube sized versions. Spreading it is a concern as well, bonds spreader? I have plenty experience with T88 but no experience with mass quantities of it being applied. Really need to think this through.

3.) Cutting the various bevels and steps in the top and bottom of the spars where they contact the capstrip. My brain tells me I should have all 3 glued up and dried, then focus on cutting. Just not sure how to approach it.

I'm just thinking out loud here, letting everyone know what I'm focused on right now. I'm gonna start with a 3 spar glue up for the mock wing used for fuselage and cowl assembly. This should help with the learning curve for the real deal.

Back