• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Spar Repair Suggestuons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wharvick2

I've enclosed a picture of the spar damage in my FP-101 that flipped over after forced landing in a field with 3ft high grass. This has been a great flying plane and I want to fix it. I think it is possible. The break is just outboard of the right wing strut. Rear spar was not damaged and bottom spruce spar cap component is not completely severed. Just split in front where plywood pulled away at joint. My feeling is that since the splits are essentially scarf shaped, I will Epoxy and clamp with t88 maybe thin down slightly with alcohol to make sure I can get it into the tightest area of split. Then glue plywood scabs to both sides of shear Webb. Maybe 1/4 inch to provide lots of gluing area to both top and bottom spar caps. Extending 10" to each side of break. And then finally fiber-glassing the entire structure wrapping the split area extending up to webbing scabs. Any ideas. Wing is 4ft wide and extends about 4 feet beyond break.

Attachments

• IMG_20160611_183713.jpg
    IMG_20160611_183713.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_20160611_183719.jpg
    IMG_20160611_183719.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 226
Back