Page 1 of 32 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Crashes in the News - Thread

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Crashes in the News - Thread

I thought we needed a thread for posting interesting crashes in the news...

Last night two F-16's had a midair collision and ejected, pretty much right in my back yard...
    I found out about it when my dad stopped by asking me install Google Earth on his phone, and he told me...

South Carolina F-16 jets involved in crash near Louisville | WJBF-TV
    South Carolina F-16 Jets involved in crash near Louisville, Georgia | WWLP.com
    South Carolina F-16 Jets involved in crash near Louisville

When I practice learning to fly, I plan to fly by flying back and forth between Louisville and Wrens airport... I went to grade school in Louisville... both are large public small town air ports with huge runways and lots of clearance around them that are deader than hell most of the time...

I'm right inside a big MOA and none too happy about it
    Last edited by choppergirl; June 8th, 2016 at 03:10 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Crashes in the News - Thread

Crashes are some thing that some will not care to discuss. some pilot's are lost and most all bird's destroyed.
    KR-2, Taylor Mono,

3. Likes ultralajt liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, I figured that's why nobody much talks about them around here. Me, I watch the internet news feeds like a hawk though, dunno...

FAA Warns that Military Tests May lead to West Coast GPS Disruptions
    June 7, 9, 21, 23, 28, and 30th

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by don january View Post
    Crashes are some thing that some will not care to discuss. some pilot's are lost and most all bird's destroyed.
    But that doesn't stop us from talking about them when they come up. I think that is normal human behavior and the discussions can be educational in a safety sense... we just need to give the desired amount of reverence when we talk about it, especially if there was loss of life.

6. Likes Glider, SVSUSteve liked this post
    Registered User Little Scrapper's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When chopper girl actual becomes a pilot and learns to fly in think she'll grasp this concept. I, like many, don't talk too much about crashes. In order to learn you'd need real facts, many reports lack facts and details that matter.

Jeremy from Sonex, as an example. Nobody knows what happened. He was a good man and a joy to talk to. What does talking about his crash do for us?

Chopper girl posts about dive bombing an ultralight in fields on her build thread. Now you want to talk safety? Maybe it's just me but I find that pathetic, dangerous, and sad. Of course, I give her a pass because she is young and has zero flying experience.

8. Likes ultralajt liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Little Scrapper View Post
    When chopper girl actual becomes a pilot and learns to fly in think she'll grasp this concept. I, like many, don't talk too much about crashes. In order to learn you'd need real facts, many reports lack facts and details that matter.

Jeremy from Sonex, as an example. Nobody knows what happened. He was a good man and a joy to talk to. What does talking about his crash do for us?
    If one person learns a lesson from an accident, and at a point in the future survives because of it, then the death has some meaning.

I'll admit that many folks discuss accidents out of morbid curiosity or the desire to gossip, but feel there's often value in discussing accidents anyway.

Ron Wanttaja

10. Likes Lucrum, Glider, Angusnofangus, SVSUSteve liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bmcj View Post
    But that doesn't stop us from talking about them when they come up. I think that is normal human behavior and the discussions can be educational in a safety sense... we just need to give the desired amount of reverence when we talk about it, especially if there was loss of life.
    Agreed
    ...If you forget this, you will be subjected to a four phase aeronautical process that dates back to the early 1900ís. Stall, spin, crash and burn. Phase 4 requires some amount of fuel on board at time of impact.

12. Likes Little Scrapper, SVSUSteve liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Wanttaja View Post
    If one person learns a lesson from an accident, and at a point in the future survives because of it, then the death has some meaning.

I'll admit that many folks discuss accidents out of morbid curiosity or the desire to gossip, but feel there's often value in discussing accidents anyway.

Ron Wanttaja
    Sure, as long as it's fact based. Many are not. I very much enjoy reading about preventing aircraft incidents and have enjoyed your articles. To randomly discuss crashes in the news? Before the facts are in? Well, my guess is this thread won't get real far because it isn't fact based.

Failure to maintain altitude is a hard thing to discuss.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Scrapper View Post
    Sure, as long as it's fact based. Many are not. I very much enjoy reading about preventing aircraft incidents and have enjoyed your articles. To randomly discuss crashes in the news? Before the facts are in? Well, my guess is this thread won't get real far because it isn't fact based.

Failure to maintain altitude is a hard thing to discuss.
    Aren't most NTSB accident reports factual?
    ...If you forget this, you will be subjected to a four phase aeronautical process that dates back to the early 1900ís. Stall, spin, crash and burn. Phase 4 requires some amount of fuel on board at time of impact.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would prefer learning from others mistakes both in building and in flying.
    Yes respect is necessary, but learning from others mistakes (and successes) is why I started reading (and joined) this forum.

16. Likes bmcj, Lucrum, VFR-on-top liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Even if a discussion is devoid of facts and purely speculative, it can often contain pearls of wisdom.

18. Likes Little Scrapper, Glider, THRC12 liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

....and the people who know anything about the crash won't talk. Lawsuits.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucrum View Post
    Sure, failure to maintain altitude is certainly a fact. Those aren't the facts I'm referring to, I mean the ones that are almost always missing.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bmcj View Post
    Even if a discussion is devoid of facts and purely speculative, it can often contain pearls of wisdom.
    This is agree with, 100%. As far as learning "how" to avoid a crash, I have doubts.

I know it's always good to agree with everyone, don't makes waves, etc, but when it comes to safety I leave ego at the door. If people want really good dialog on crashes, which is a seriously great discussion in our hobby, what is it we would learn?

Like many people I've read a lot of reports and articles. I came to the conclusion there's not a single article I've read where I actually learned something I didn't already know. On accident reports I've read often times I walk away thinking "what moron would do this in an airplane?" Like running out of fuel, turning back, low altitude showing off, etc etc. I'm sure you'd agree.

Ok, now let's talk mechanical errors. Sure, there's a little bit of learning but most aircraft engine technology is ancient, it's been hashed over a million times and pilots need to read and study BEFORE flying. And of course there's the mechanical anomalies that nobody can predict. Tough to learn from those.

Weather causes accidents. Where's the learning here that's not common sense?

I suppose there's always the accidents that are a series of multiple poor decisions, those are very specialized and hard to learn from. If the pilot died it's almost always speculation.

I'm not trying to upset anyone, I enjoy hard core stimulating dialog. My points are valid and worth discussion if people are truly interested in safety and not just getting thrills from reading death reports.

Can anyone list the top 5 reasons a homebuilt airplane crashes with a 100% fatality? I would like to see that list.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucrum View Post
    They usually state facts, but for GA aircraft, they seldom provide the details of the series of events that led up to the root cause of the crash.

BJC

23. Likes Little Scrapper, SVSUSteve liked this post