Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2125262728293031

Thread: Crashes in the News - Thread

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Crashes in the News - Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
    It would be interesting to sift through the registration data and tease out how many who fund such projects are the same that actually apply for E-A/B registration. I don't think many do make fraudulent applications. They simply get a shop hand to do it. Pay some helper $10k to falsify docs then buy completed aircraft from them, registering in a Corp name to shield owner. Maintenance and condition inspections don't matter cause some rich guy doesn't have time for that nonsense anyway.
    Along those lines:

Christmas Day 1996, I found myself with $25 in the bank and a week away from turning 34 years old. My girlfriend, also a Riddle engineering graduate, said “I don’t want to live this way anymore.” I did what I knew I shouldn’t, made a number of calls, and started a professional building shop with a partner. On January 10th the first kit arrived. I had a practiced speech for the owner justifying why we needed a $5,000 deposit to work from. Two sentences in to it he stopped me, opened an envelope with a $60,000 certified check, and simply said “Call my secretary when you need more.” Our shop was in Edgewater FL, where we leased a 140′ x 120′ hangar. By the end of 1997 we had 11 Lancair IV’s in the shop, and I had hired 30 Riddle students as my own cheap labor. I was no longer a pawn in the game, I was now part of the problem. in 1997 I made about ten times as much money as 1996. That buys a lot of rationalization.
    From here:

https://flycorvair.net/2013/01/13/25...ircraft-finsh/

Dale Williams
    N319WF @ 6J2
    Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
    120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
    Tail Wheel - Center Stick
    Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
    135.7 hours / Status - Flying

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Daleandee View Post
    Yes, I know that happens or use to happen. I looked at the registration of a high dollar homebuilts one time and the publicly claimed "builder" was not the builder on the paperwork. The builder according the FAA paperwork was a shop hand, who apparently built the plane for "education and recreation" then sold it to a specific person who financed the project. Much more FAA surveillance now and from what I understand, the commercial build centers and two-weeks-to-taxi programs are kept legit. All it takes is for the FAA to revoke one airworthiness certificate under 49 US Code § 44709 and people start rethinking the process. Can't imagine there is much enjoyment in flying a ticking time bomb.

"The form said the fine was up to $10K for making a false statement."
    That's a true but incomplete statement. Using the easter egg analogy, there are other laws hiding in the weeds that state making a false statement on any FAA form can result in revocation of every FAA certificate perpetrator holds. So if a person holds a commercial pilot certificate, A&P, Part 135 certificate, repair station, all of those can be revoked from making a single false statement on an FAA form. The more certificates a person holds, the more thought they put into irresponsible/illegal actions like falsifying a document. If one doesn't have anything to lose, the choice is somewhat easier.
    “The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.” - Mark Twain

“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$hi+.” ― W.C. Fields

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More horrifying aviation news tonight on national TV. NBC, as part of their report on the Texas mid-air, alerted American to aviation's "dirty little secret"....small airplanes are allowed to fly without being under absolute control of the FAA. In shocked tones we were told that 18 people died last year in mid-air collisions in small airplanes while flying under VFR rules. Strangely, they didn't mention how many people died in "mid-ground" collisions in automobiles.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by radfordc View Post
    More horrifying aviation news tonight on national TV. NBC, as part of their report on the Texas mid-air, alerted American to aviation's "dirty little secret"....small airplanes are allowed to fly without being under absolute control of the FAA. In shocked tones we were told that 18 people died last year in mid-air collisions in small airplanes while flying under VFR rules. Strangely, they didn't mention how many people died in "mid-ground" collisions in automobiles.
    Nor do they bother telling you how many mid air collisions occur while the aircraft are under air traffic control.
    “The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.” - Mark Twain

“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$hi+.” ― W.C. Fields

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Update on the missing plane in Lake Erie.

They have been finding debris washing up on the beach.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Aerowerx View Post

Sad story and I hate to say this but chances are they will never find the bodies.It's just the nature of the lakes at this time of the year.
    My grandparents were from Silver lake Mi and it is tied to Lake Michigan and I'll never forget the first time I saw a nasty storm whip across those piers.If you've never seen it I'd recommend it if you get the chance.Even a summertime squall can leave you speechless but winter is many times worse. I've even seen ice flows push walls of ice over the dunes and knock houses off of their foundations.The summer storms are bad enough but as soon as October rolls around there's a reason why the huge freighters tried to stop hauling ore by November.

This really sums things up here as to their power.
    Also the legend about them not giving up those lost after November is true.There's a scientific reason behind it that causes bodies to sink to the bottom and once they do they're almost never found.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyZ View Post
    Also the legend about them not giving up those lost after November is true.There's a scientific reason behind it that causes bodies to sink to the bottom and once they do they're almost never found.
    Big difference between 50 ft of water depth and 500 ft of water depth. I'm 99% confident aircraft and bodies will be recovered. But it is a sad story that these people trusted their life to the pilot to make good choices and decisions.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by radfordc View Post
    More horrifying aviation news tonight... report on the Texas mid-air
    I didn't hear about this until the day after it happened. I was a little surprised and saddened to hear the name of the pilot of the plane that was hit. You may recognize the name Lt. Col. Greg Barber as the pilot who gave Top Gear's James May a ride in the U-2, but I knew him as a friend when we were both in the Air Force together. RIP Greg and son.
    Last edited by bmcj; January 4th, 2017 at 01:39 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The midair is tragic and sad and I think most understand that it could have just as easily been them.

10. Likes Wayne liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyZ View Post
    ...My grandparents were from Silver lake Mi...
    I grew up in Niles, MI.

Never saw a storm on the lake, but certainly know about "lake effect". We did visit Warren dunes once in the winter, and saw the ice piled up along the beach.

For those not familiar with the Edmund Fitzgerald, they either bottomed out and cracked the hull, or was swamped by a rogue wave, or both. It was their last run of the season and the weather was rough. Went down with all hands. A ship several miles behind saw it on radar, then on the next sweep it was gone without a trace.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bmcj View Post
    We just had our first fatal crash at our community sky park and, if fact, it was our first and only major accident since the founding of the airpark in 1946. The aircraft was a Wheeler Express. I did not witness it (I had just returned from a drive to the mountain snow about 2 minutes after it happened), but it was witnessed by several neighbors. According to them, it went into a very steep climb immediately after takeoff rotation, finally slowing and rolling over into a spin. I did not know the pilot well, but those who did say that he was a conservative pilot and not the type to hot dog a steep climb. The plane impacted the river bottom just off the right side of the runway, still in the nose-down spin. As it turns out, both the pilot and passenger died on impact.

(follow link for remainder of post)
    For anyone that follows accident investigations, here is the NTSB preliminary (fact gathering). I will update if and when I see the probable cause report issued.

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...relim&IType=FA

FYI... I am not one of the witnesses they mentioned in the report. As stated before, I was not witness to the crash (I came along minutes afterward), so I did not offer any statement to the investigator.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Aerowerx View Post

They have recovered remains in a seat.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kyrgyzstan Cargo plane crash (CNN) report and drone video coverage:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/15/asia/k...n-plane-crash/
    CHOPPERGIRL @ AIR-WAR.ORG ~ Flying with Christina
    My grandfather flew 171 combat missions in the P-38, P-39, and P-47; my dad was an air traffic controller and 170 pilot; my mom sold travel luggage to Mohamed Atta, the 9/11 hijacker mastermind; I'm restoring Dorothy, a Volmer Jensen VJ-24W motor glider I bought on eBay for $38, and Alice, a Chotia Woodhopper I bought on Barnstormers for $99. I'm in no hurry; doing it to fly, and to learn how to restore hopeless case ultralights.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've done that exact leg from Hong Kong or Shenzhen to Bishkek many times. Always a full approach with no ATC help, always foggy and usually done when you are tired. Peace to the victims survivors.