• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

My budget build: Mini-max 1650 Eros

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Streffpilot

Hi, I have been a pilot for about 8 years now, but haven't flown in about 5. I have a wife and kids, so a budget is a huge issue for me right now.

Some of you who have followed some other threads I started know that I have purchased plans for a Christavia MK IV, but I can't swing the price of a nice TIG welder.

I love working with wood, and am quite good at it, so I figured why not give the Mini-max a shot. I chose the 1650 Eros because I live in WI, and like the enclosed cockpit. It also has a good climb rate and a decent cruise speed. If you don't know much about the Mini-max line, they offer several different lines of aircraft all built off of the same wing rib and same basic frame. The current plan is to get the wood all finished, and make an engine decision later. The current top choices are a 1/2 VW and a Big Bad twin (or a home brewed version of the BBT).

Since funds are at a premium, I figured I would start each post with the running total and current expenditures on the current project.

I plan on dividing the work for this up into smaller sub-tasks. The first "job" is wing ribs. I plan to get the ply from Wag-Aero since they are close to me, and I like to support small shops. The Northern White Pine (the material called out for in the plans) will most likely be from Home Depot or Menards.

I also am using this as my build log for the final inspection.

Here we go!!!!

Back