• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lurker coming out into the light, don't shoot! I'm harmless.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jambo

I've been checking into this website for a long time, and I've spent far too much time here as a guest to not contribute anymore. Though I fear I don't have too much (any) technical knowledge to contribute, hopefully at least well asked questions.

I've been working on a conceptual design of a BD-5 like aircraft just going through Raymers simplified books calcs, and have some (hopefully) simple questions to ask. And a thank you to Topaz, his conceptual design thread for his single seat motor glider has been an excellent resource (seriously, check it out) and a kick in the pants to focus myself on my design goals.

But if I do nothing else on this site, I would like to thank all of the people already here contributing for making such an excellent resource for wannabe aircraft designers and builders. For someone who sadly doesn't get out to the flight line all that often, the repository of practical aircraft knowledge here is amazing, especially in its breadth.

To Jake, for making this site. You did it, no one else did.

To the moderators, your job is often thankless, doesn't pay very well, and requires sometimes superhuman levels of personal control. A respectful nod to you all. You've done very good work.

And for the builders. Cant say I read too many of your threads sadly. I'm very far, and realistically very unlikely, to reach where you are. But without you, without homebuilt aircraft constructed by you, the world would be a little less vibrant.

I would like to as well pay my respects to the late Bill Husa. Came far too late to pick his brains, but I think he truly laid a foundation of invaluable practical knowledge for this site to build on and did it with a dignity and respectfulness that I doubt many in his position could muster. Because frankly, he didn't need to muster it. His legacy in experimental aviation and life was already secure. That he in his last days could have the will to be a patient teacher (online no less) is inspiring.

And with that far too wordy hello;

Looking forward to picking all your brains.

-Jambo

Back