• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Custom printed vinyl labels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
A while ago I did some looking around at custom printed vinyl lettering and shapes for N-numbers and various decorative elements. One thing that I discovered is that, while getting a bunch of separate letters cut to shape and ready to apply can be expensive at smaller sizes, custom one-piece labels are quite reasonable.

For example, one such site (and I have no connection to them, there are many others) is https://doityourselflettering.com. Getting this throttle placard label printed at 1" x 1" in their high-end Premium 3M™ Cast Vinyl in your choice of colors, font, layout, etc. costs just 31 cents. Getting the custom passenger warning placard at 1.25" x 6" runs $2.26. When you get up to something larger like the EXPERIMENTAL placard in 2" high letters, then there's not much difference at $10-14 for individual letters vs. $12 for the solid label.

0413325.jpg 9268915.jpg 1836054.jpg

At one point I was looking to get a high-end label maker or come up with my own home printing solution for all the little labels and placards needed on an instrument panel. But at just a few coins for each small label it looks like this solution would be easier and actually cheaper as long as your panel doesn't rival the Space Shuttle in complexity. The result would be a lot more pleasing, I think, than more homemade solutions.

Cheers,

Matthew

Back