• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Intensive/compressed glider rating schools?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtae07

Supporting Member
At one point I looked into the local glider club with the intent of working on an add-on rating. The prices weren't terrible, but it was going to wind up being a pretty long process--the club is aero-tow only (so high launch fees) and given that it's a club, other people want to use the aircraft too. It wound up that I was probably going to be spending full weekend days up at the airport but not getting a lot of flights in (which is bad for retention), as one must naturally share in the chores and give others a turn*. That was going to be a hard sell to the boss to begin with, and now that we have a baby it's just not going to happen. I'd still like to get the rating one of these days, though, so I was wondering if anyone here was aware of an "intensive" glider school, where you can go and train multiple flights a day, for days in a row, without having to worry as much about the club obligations in this phase?

I'd even be open to a course in Europe if the costs weren't too out of line and the license would convert--I could bring the wife along and call it a vacation :)

* It's easier to get away with this if it's not every weekend, as it would be in the training phase...

Back