• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

First Solo Flight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Dingus

All, i completed my SOLO Friday, 15 April.

it was a perfect storm of events, Weather changes (wind direction and gusting), traffic on ground and in the air. Radio Problems, Tail winds, and Emergency procedures. it was a perfect test of a young pilots skills, the Emergency procedure was the dreaded bounce on landing, stab the gas and go dont try to save the landing get out of there and go around.

the instructor and airport personnel were on their game, as well as the other pilots moving around and taking off were perfect, in the see and be seen aspect.
the radio issues were perfect, remain calm and stay focused on safety, the tail winds hit 13 mph, that forced a change of runway, very good training and testing i am more confident in the multitasking now, just keep up the vigilance and remain calm. focus on the training and you will be safe, forward thinking and risk assessment are key.

we could not have planned, this much activity to happen during a first SOLO flight.

Robert Dingus

Back