• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New Chevy Ecotec engine for Mustang II?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chevy has introduced the new 4.3 ecotec LV3 V6 in 2014. This has aluminum block and heads from the factory!! until this engine the only way to get a Chevy aluminum block was to find an old discontinued bowtie racing block and pay $4000 for it. I just checked with a couple salvage yards and a low mileage ecotec can be had for $2500 with free shipping. Even better is the fact that these engines come with a forged steel crank , roller lifters etc..
Ballistic Drives (and others) makes a 1000 hp rated reduction gear box that will bolt up to this engine and it only costs $2100. Airboat gear boxes are designed for much more abuse than aviation typically can dish out.
I am building a Mustang II and so far this engine is my leading candidate for a power plant. There are a couple of concerns however. The Ecotec has direct fuel injection with a built in high pressure fuel pump. I assume this setup would not be ideal for aviation use because of the high pressure fuel. I am thinking of converting it to a 500 cfm Holley carb with the Mcneilly leaning block, similar to the Belted Air Power setup. This may involve buying new heads and intake manifold , but even with that added in, it your still talking under $10000 for the FWF package.
What do you guys think?

Monte

Back