Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Work rules / practices

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Work rules / practices

As long as any extra hour spent on thinking how to design/make/calculate a part reduces build time by an hour; keep thinking if you're good at it.

I do this at work all the time (project manager/engineer) and often get ridiculed by it by production guys. For a few recent big, complex production runs I gave them the drawings and let them make the first part. Big, heavy stuff, glueing, logistics etc involved and time pressure is on (cure time).

I spent a day or two, half an hour each, just mentally going through the production process, made a list, came up with some ideas, planned it etc. Their first run took them 7 man-hours. I briefed them on my exact order, gave everybody a task and the next run took 4 man-hours. Final runs (50 batches later) took 2.5 man-hours.

Probably more pertinent for design, notably in composites. But simply thinking how to avoid one mold can save you a few full work-days.
    Kennis vermenigvuldig je door het te delen.
    (You multiply knowledge by dividing it)

2. Likes StarJar, BJC, dcstrng liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Multiply your cost estimate by two.

Multiply your time estimate by four.

4. Likes Topaz, Joe Fisher, Pops, BJC, Battler Britton and 2 others liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had an 'emergency' bathroom break and went back to work "Damn where did I put my flash light" Looked all over the hangar, through the parts shelves, in the tool area on the bench. "Where the heck did it go?" spent a half hour looking ... Got in the car to go home the light was in the passenger seat. stupid 'emergency',

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cheapracer View Post
    Had 25 years or so of my own workshops.

Put your tools away and clean up at the end of everyday, doesn't matter how messy or disorganised during the day, but reset every night even if the job is not finished.

A peg board for your tools is the best thing, you instantly see what tools are still missing after cleaning up. Sample here but you need to run a big black permanent marker pen around the tools ..

Attachment 48795

When doing the critical stuff such as control linkages, follow the lead of the Japanese, put a bright paint mark on every linkage as it's finished and checked. I used to do it with a small brush and tin on race cars, but even easier now with paint pens. It's amazing how later you can just glance at everything and if it's got a bright paint mark how much confidence you have in it.
    I could never work in a space that neat and clean.... you don't want to see my shop... but I do get a lot done other than managing tools...

7. Likes narfi, lake_harley liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thinking of changing the oil in my airplane so I to go to the tool boxes to get a couple wrenches. By the time I get to the other side of the hanger I forgot what I was going after, so I see something I had been working on in the vice. Great, I'll work on that, but I will need the torch to heat the 4130 tube to form the end, so I go over to the gas bottles to turn on the valves. Then I ask myself why did I turn on the bottles, can't remember so I turn them off, so I go back to the paint booth to do some masking. Almost out of masking tape so I need to go over to the box of tape by the tool box to get a couple of rolls of tape. When I get to the box and starting to reach down to pick some up. I ask myself, what do I need tape for. Then I remember what size wrenches I needed. So I get the wrenches and start back to the work, as I walk past the vice, I ask myself why do I need wrenches to heat the 4130 tubing . So I take the wrenches back to the tool boxes and on the way back to the paint booth I turn the gas valves on, and then go back into the paint booth to look for something to do. I know what I will do, I'll change the oil in the airplane. So I go in back of the hanger to get a case of oil, on the way I go past the gas bottles and someone left then on, so I turn them off. Can't trust anyone anymore. So I start carrying the oil out to the airplane in the front of the hanger and see the box of tape and decide to save a trip and take some masking tape to the paint booth in case I might need some next week. Look at the clock and its lunch time, so decide to go next door to the house and get some lunch and then get the wrenches. I'm getting to old to work this hard, think I'll take a nap after lunch.
    Dan
    Pops

9. Likes rbrochey, narfi, D Hillberg, BJC, Bill Clapp and 9 others liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that smile Dan! I'm the guy at the other end of your shop asking if you made any coffee before you went looking for the wrenches...

11. Likes Battler Britton, Pops liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rbrochey View Post
    Thanks for that smile Dan! I'm the guy at the other end of your shop asking if you made any coffee before you went looking for the wrenches...
    My old buddy Dallas Shell works with me 2 days a week most weeks in the hanger/shop. He's always asking for his cup of Cappuccino. I wish he would shut-up so I can get something done like finding the wrenches. I'm a couple years older than he is.

Dan
    Last edited by Pops; March 21st, 2016 at 11:04 PM.
    Pops

13. Likes rbrochey liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by D Hillberg View Post
    Had an 'emergency' bathroom break and went back to work "Damn where did I put my flash light" Looked all over the hangar, through the parts shelves, in the tool area on the bench. "Where the heck did it go?" spent a half hour looking ... Got in the car to go home the light was in the passenger seat. stupid 'emergency',
    I'll bet I'm the only person that can sit down in one spot on the floor with several tools to work on a part, set down one tool to use another, then not be able to find the first tool even though I never got up. Don't laugh, it's happened to me more times than I care to admit.

15. Likes Pops, gtae07, Topaz, Battler Britton, dcstrng liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Measure once, cut twice.

No, wait...

17. Likes Battler Britton liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think three times. Measure twice. Cut once.

19. Likes pictsidhe liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't measure at all. Cut three times and use the piece that closest resembles what you were trying to do. (Keep the other two pieces. ... they may more closely resemble something you want later than what you cut at that time.)

21. Likes Pops, bmcj, rbrochey, Floydr92 liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bmcj View Post
    I'll bet I'm the only person that can sit down in one spot on the floor with several tools to work on a part, set down one tool to use another, then not be able to find the first tool even though I never got up. Don't laugh, it's happened to me more times than I care to admit.
    How much do you want to bet , (Loose).
    Pops

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This thread sounds like an old fart convention.

Dan
    Pops

24. Likes bmcj, D Hillberg, jmt1991, Battler Britton liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bmcj View Post
    I can beat it; I've gone looking for the tool that's still in my other hand many times...
    I reserve the right to be smarter tomorrow than I was yesterday.

26. Likes bmcj, Pops liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gtae07 View Post
    I can beat it; I've gone looking for the tool that's still in my other hand many times...
    The left hand doesn't know what the right hand ...

Are you sure that you don't work for the government?

GTAE70

28. Likes gtae07, Pops liked this post