• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Oxygen/Acetylene Outfits and the economics of ownership.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekimneirbo

I have some new "Food for Thought" that I'm going to post on the choice of an Oxt/Acetylene outfit.

I went to get a small 65 cu ft acetylene tank filled today.It was given to me by a long time friend who acquired it while cleaning out an estate for a widow.

It turns out that the company I have dealt with for the last 40 years is under different ownership. They no longer sell tanks to anyone ...only lease or rent.
The cost of refilling an acetylene tank has risen drastically the last few years because of a damaged plant, and the need to acquire gas from South America.
Once the plant was repaired and working again, the price of gas was supposed to come down. Now that the plant is up and working, apparently that plan was
changed and the high prices continue. A small appx 65 cu ft tank cost me $68.80 (including tax) to refill. I asked what my large tank would now cost to refill
and was told appx $135. Getting rediculous.

When I got home, I called a couple of other local vendors and was told that because I own my tanks but they are from a different company, both of the companies
I called said they would "only" refill them by sending them out ......no direct exchange.....and it can take up to 2 weeks to get them back. One company explained
that they only send them out once a week...on Wednesdays. If you bring it in on Thursday, expect two weeks to get them back. The Oxygen tanks can be done
overnight. IN ALL CASES, they would only do it if you can provide proof of ownership from the company that sold you the tanks. They said they do not
accept any "Bill of Sale" from a private party or from an Auction.

Both of these companies were less expensive to refill the tanks than my old source.

My current Source Small $69 Large $135
Source WS.....$47....... $81
Source HS.....$50....... $65

So if you are considering buying a Oxy/Acetylene outfit because of the initial cost

, be sure to consider whether anyone will fill them for you,
and how long it may take along with the costs of refilling. Check it out before you buy anything as it may be different in your area.

Back