• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

BF-109 Aerofoil Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blistex

So I've been fooling around with SketUp for a week, working on a 1:1 BF-109F model, and have noticed something. The wing is too fat!

I've been scaling down a NACA 2414 aerofoil shape according to the chord length, but the thickness appears to be too much. I assumed that it would scale down at a uniform rate, but I'm ending up with what appears to be a chubby wing.

I've read that the BF-109 starts out with a NACA 2414 aerofoil, then transitions to a NACA 2411 at the ends, but that doesn't seem to be an issue as it's apparently too fat before I've cleared the tips of the wheel wells.

LaMNzfs.png

Questions:

1. Is it actually a NACA 2414 -> 2411 transition?
2. If it is, exactly when does the transition from one to the other take place?
3. If I have the right aerofoils, do they scale down uniformly, or does the thickness scale down faster than the chord length?
4. If the scaling is not uniform, then how does it scale down?
5. Do I have the entirely wrong wing shapes?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I have been gathering data from http://airfoiltools.com/airfoil/details?airfoil=n2414-il (picking the two I mentioned from the list, and plotting them at a large scale to trace in SketchUp).

Last edited:
Back