• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Kolb Firestar Project Received

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
My pursuit of the 21st Century Volksplane, and the Motorcycle of the Air... have been slightly postponed. Not abandoned by any means, but a new priority has arrived. I just picked up a (partially started) Kolb Firestar 2 kit at the freight yard last night. The kit is mostly complete, has some small areas of damage, and I may need a new tailboom tube. Otherwise it's pretty complete.

This aircraft will be specifically built and have several modifications for a specific use, which is to get me into small strips, clearings, hillside meadows, and other places that were once the exclusive domain of Super Cubs.

I may or may not start a build log thread, because I would prefer to be able to interact and have others post answers or opinions. So this may be a "discussion" rather than a specific log.

At this point, pursuant to other thread discussions, I have two primary contenders for the powerplant. I have committed to Pete's O-100 Pegasus engine if it can be mounted on this airframe without too much surgery and re-configuration. If for some reason that engine will not work on this airframe then the Generac V-Twin (Valley Engineering, Dragon Fire, or home-brew) will be the next choice.

Anyone with specific experience or knowledge on the Kolb Firestar feel free to share. Yes I'm on the Matronics Kolb list.

Back