• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Where have the fun days of flying gone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadProfessor8138

Does anyone else miss the good ole days of simple flying as much as I do?
Some of my best memories,pertaining to flying,are from a time when myself and a hand full of guys would fly out of a private strip and just have fun all weekend...we would camp out beside the strip and just fly the whole time.
We all flew MXL's,Challengers or CGS Hawks.....simple planes.

I've had many experimental aircraft since the days of my ultralights and now I fly a Piper Tomahawk....
I thought moving up from ultralights to the big league of GA aircraft was a step forward but I'm starting to think I took a step backwards.
Now it's.....dealing with the FAA,outrageous prices for everything,A&P for maintenance,general bullsh*t attitude of everyone at the airports....and yes,they have attitudes...you should see how someone that is thinking about getting into aviation is treated at the airports around here.
I see them come in and talk to a few of the guys and then they are never to be seen again...truly sad.
I truly miss the good ole days of just having fun flying....and I honestly believe that if ultralight training were available around here again there would be a lot more people getting into flying.

The economy put the little private strip,that we flew from,out of business so to speak,it's still there but nothing is going on..instructor couldn't make enough money for maintenance on his plane so he gave up,everyone that was hangered there sold their planes to pay bills...etc.etc....
I remember back in the day,the ultralight instructor would have no less than 10-15 students on his schedule....then all of the sudden....not a single student.

I've often wondered these past few years if an ultralight park could actually survive in this day and time if someone were to start one up again.
I've even been wondering if it's possible to get the county to donate some land for something of this nature....they donated the old landfill for our rc club to use many years ago.
Anyone else ever have thoughts along my line of thinking?

Kevin

I apologize if this isn't posted in the proper section but I thought it pertained to ultralights more than anything....

Back