• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

LED position lights for homebuilts on the cheap.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pops

I dropped one of my position light lens and broke it so I needed to replace it. Looks like a good time to go to LED position lights since I will have to buy new lens.
My JMR is a LSA and will not be flying at night time, but I still want position light and strobes for those lower light overcast days.
The bulbs in your position lights are a hybrid bulb so you have to buy their $17. bulbs. They are a 1157 base but single contact at the bottom of the base like a 1156 blub. The standard 1157 base has 2 staggered pins on the side of the base, but a 2 contact bottom. The older auto tail/brake lights are a 1157,( 27 candle power) bulb. The $17. aviation position light bulb is 27 CP. You can buy a auto replacement LED bulb for $4.75 each in red or green with buying 2 at a time or $2.87 each buying 4 at a time. These 1157 LED bulbs will fit the position light socket, but they have 2 contacts and the position light socket has one contact. Easy fix, just solder a small piece of metal across the two contacts on the bottom of the LED's. Any metal that you can solder will work, I used the scrap metal from a strip of aviation radio sockets. So, solder a small metal piece across the contacts and install.

Wag-Aero wants $32.50 for a red or green LED that will fit your aviation position lights, I'll use my $2.87 LED's.

Using the LEDs you have to use clear position light lenses. Wag-Aero or Aircraft Spruce @ 14.50 each.

4X 1157 BAY15D Tree Green 64 SMD 1206 LED Tail Brake Stop Backup Light Bulbs Car | eBay
4X 1157 BAY15D Red 64 SMD Replace LED Tail Brake Stop Reverse Backup Light Bulbs | eBay

Attachments

• DSCF0010.jpg
    DSCF0010.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCF0012.jpg
    DSCF0012.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 84
Back