• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Scratch built Cassutt builders log

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my log. I won't be posting here daily but I will be updating with photos and a brief summary.

Currently I've been rebuilding my plumbing shop so there's room to build this, I had to pull permits etc so it's kind of a long drawn out process. I should be good to go in under a month once inspections are complete.

For now, I'm going through tools and moving them from home to the shop. I jig built table parts for the fuselage from steel and they are ready to set-up.

I decided I had enough of tube notching by hand and bought a machine that does many tasks. It will grind tube notches, profile, etc. This means I can also toss out my old belt sander. That was ordered today. It's a very well built machine that's used by custom knife makers and steel fabricators and should make for a great tool in the shop.

Screenshot_2016-02-19-15-48-09-1.jpg
Screenshot_2016-02-19-15-47-22-1.jpg
Screenshot_2016-02-19-15-45-25-1.jpg

That's about it, doesn't sound like much there's a ton of work to do before I start.

My goal is to build an extremely light Cassutt, spartan and lean. No extras if it's not required.

The fuselage will be 2" longer in the cockpit, however.

Scrap

Last edited:
Back