• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Big Bad Twin Generac conversion: Anyone here with experience?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
So it's like this... I made a bid on a partially built experimental aircraft UL-ish kit/project. It perfectly fits one of the many different aircraft wish list capabilities I have, for a folding wing off-road explorer type machine.

If my bid is accepted and I get this thing, I will need an engine or it. I strongly prefer a 4 stroke engine, flying here over downtown Los Angeles at 1500 AGL underneath someone else's airspace. And 1500 above residential neighborhoods.

I've looked at the Big Bad Twin from Valley Engineering, and it seems like a good fit for this airplane. The Big Bad Twin is a 990cc Generac V-twin conversion with a custom built belt redrive and some other modifications, yielding a 40HP continuous rating and a 50HP takeoff rating.

Everything seems just right, which is why I am panicked off my rocker. Since I have no direct personal experience with this engine, I have no idea if the manufacturer's claims are true or not. I have no idea if these engines are flying reliably on every continent, or if they are fallingout of the sky because of X technical issue.

Does anyone here have hands-on experience with the Big Twin or the Big Bad Twin?

Back