• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New, Seeking Comments

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glider

Hello.

I am a new ab initio glider pilot with less than 30 hours. I have recently received my airman's certificate from Seminole-Lake Gliderport under the supervision of Jan Driessen. I've also done some ridge soaring at Dillingham on Oahu at Hana Hou Air. I also have had a couple of hang glider training flights.

My interest is to have a relatively fast single place self-launch motorglider that meets JAR-22 requirements. Basically a 150 MPH (or preferably faster) machine that can be used as a cross country aircraft. I am willing to sacrifice gliding efficiency for speed and flutter resistance, but some ridge and thermal soaring capability is desired.

My engine preference began with an O-200, but now includes Rotax and turbine powerplants.

My budget is <=150k for a one off example.

I am too tall for most production aircraft, and have never fit completely comfortably in any glider I have tried. I do not fit in a Grob 109 or Phoenix Motorglider for example.

I have access to a structural engineer who has personally designed, made test specimens for, and built composite assemblies for aerospace applications. He may provide some guidance and oversight.

I come with a BS in mechanical engineering, but my experience is in algorithms and programming and not in building mechanical things.

Comments welcome.

Back