• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cutting phenolic sheet on a CNC machine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FritzW

I did some "trial and error" testing today to find a good combination of RPM, feed rate and depth of cut for cutting grade L phenolic sheet (the typical kind you get from AS&S).

Phen1.jpg Phen2.jpg Waiex canopy latch plates.

I used an 1/8" HSS 2 flute bit (not recommended for phenolic but seemed to work fine)
6000 RPM (5000 or even 4500 might have been better)
40 IPM (would have gone much faster but the part was small and the machine didn't have room to accelerate anyway)
3/32" depth of cut (sheet was 3/16" so I did it in two passes)

The tool didn't get hot and it made a nice clean cut.

...just some starting numbers so the next phenolic neophyte (like me) doesn't have to start from scratch. If anybody has more refined numbers please let me know, I've got a butt load more phenolic parts to make.

Back