• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Inline engine mounted on its Side

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveD

Inline auto engines invariably have the crank at the bottom as this is most convenient for a car transmission, but planes typically need the prop near the top for visibilty and prop clearance. I was looking at the airtrikes website and noticed some photos of installations of Geo and Honda Fit engines which had been rotated so the engines were close to horisontal (or at least over 60°) and the reduction drive had then been angled to place the prop in a high position. What are the issues with laying an engine on its side? As a starter, I came up with these:
  • Oil pickup from the sump no longer being in the correct place
  • Oil not draining properly from the head to the sump
  • Splash lubrication from the crank throws not working a designed (do modern engines even use this? Engine design is not my area of expertise!)
  • Air/vapour bubbles collecting in the block
I was thinking side forces on the pistons, but I don't think boxer type flat engines have different piston designs to cope with this so I guess it's a non-issue.

any more?

Back