• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

First 3D Drawings with Autodesk Inventor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris In Marshfield

Staff member
Supporting Member
Hey gang,

I've done 2D CAD for a number of years (mainly architectural, but some mechanical things), and I've finally talked myself into trying to become proficient with 3D. My desire is to put my Expedition fuselage into 3D CAD so I can run stress analysis against it after I've done the math on the truss itself, just so I can see if there are any weak spots I didn't account for. Dan R. (Pops) has already given me a few places to look, and this will help out as a second set of technical eyes.

Following the tutorials in "Autodesk Inventor 2016 - Learn by doing", I got my first two drawings turned out:

2015-12-22_16-00-59.jpg 2015-12-22_16-48-56.jpg

Inventor is a pretty cool tool! You definitely have to think a little bit differently from your 2D CAD techniques, although having that experience certainly helps. The nice thing is that Inventor can put your drawing into 2D if you'd like to see your projections, but it really excels in 3D space.

I've never used any other 3D software before, and there certainly could be better tools out there if you're a hard-core ME -- maybe Pro-E or SolidWorks. But I got this on a student discount, so I'm going to give it a go. And it's got the stress analysis tools built in, so that's cool.

Looking forward to the continuing adventure!

~Chris

Last edited:
Back