• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Power Jointer. Is it worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

I'm talking about one of these:
847962004772lg.jpg

$399 at Lowes

It has been quite a while since I have worked on my build, due to a major offensive by Real Life. Now, that it is getting too cold for epoxy I'm starting to think about it again.

My stock of Douglas Fir has a grain that is pretty close to perfect. But it is rough cut. I have a 12 inch power planer to smooth the top and bottom, but the problem is the edges.

I have a "manual" method of doing it with a router and straight edge on my build table, but that is a bit tedious. What I was wondering out is one of these jointers. With the manual method I can carefully line up the grain to be parallel to the straight edge (the tedious part) then use an edge trimmer with guide roller. Step 2 is to run it through my table saw with the just-trimmed edge against the fence. The jointer would be easier, but I would be afraid that the rough cut edge would result in some grain run-out---the edge would not be parallel to the grain.

Uh, did I just answer my own question:ermm:?

Back