Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Any Ragwing Projects here?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Any Ragwing Projects here?

I would expect the stick ribs to be lighter than equally sized birch ply ribs. After all, spruce is lighter than birch. The big difference though is are the ply ribs going to be the same size as the stick ribs? I would expect they need a bit more material to make up for the weakness of the grain direction not matching the direction of each piece. With stick built wings, most pieces will have the stess running pretty much from one end to the other, parallel to the grain. With plywood ribs I would expect they may need a bit more heft in some areas to get that same strength.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thought I would check in to see if anyone has made any progress..
    Who has a project going ?
    Who has completed their project?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought a set of plans, building instructions, video, etc. for the RW-2 "Special" from a gentleman here on HBA several months ago. I started with rib and spar construction. The last of 8 spars was finished, cleaned up of T-88 "squeeze-out" and put aside yesterday. The 34th and final rib got assembled in my jig this morning, with just the gussets on the backside to go after it's cured. I have much of the material (Northern White Pine) cut already for wing and fuselage assembly.

For powering the "Baby Pitts" RW-2, I have a 32 HP 1/2 VW. I have heard that even with building lightweight, and my relative light weight of about 155# fully dressed, that 32 HP may not be enough oomph for reasonable performance. I need to make Part 103 weight of <254#, and that might prove to be difficult to start with. Another engine that I'd consider would be the Verner 3VW 3-Cylinder radial, but at $7,000-8,000 that would be hard to swallow. The Verner has a slightly lighter-weight advantage over the 1/2 VW and it certainly would look right at home on the nose of a biplane. I certainly can't see putting a 2-stroke on the nose.

I also have an "on again - off again" start on building a Hummel Ultracruiser. I may just put the RW-2 project on the back burner for a time and see how I feel about going forward with it in a month or so, and in the meantime go back to work on the Hummel UC once again.

Lynn
    Last edited by lake_harley; January 6th, 2017 at 10:55 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lake_harley View Post
    I bought a set of plans, building instructions, video, etc. for the RW-2 "Special" from a gentleman here on HBA several months ago. I started with rib and spar construction. The last of 8 spars was finished, cleaned up of T-88 "squeeze-out" and put aside yesterday. The 34th and final rib got assembled in my jig this morning, with just the gussets on the backside to go after it's cured. I have much of the material (Northern White Pine) cut already for wing and fuselage assembly.

For powering the "Baby Pitts" RW-2, I have a 32 HP 1/2 VW. I have heard that even with building lightweight, and my relative light weight of about 155# fully dressed, that 32 HP may not be enough oomph for reasonable performance. I need to make Part 103 weight of <254#, and that might prove to be difficult to start with. Another engine that I'd consider would be the Verner 3VW 3-Cylinder radial, but at $7,000-8,000 that would be hard to swallow. The Verner has a slightly lighter-weight advantage over the 1/2 VW and it certainly would look right at home on the nose of a biplane. I certainly can't see putting a 2-stroke on the nose.

I also have an "on again - off again" start on building a Hummel Ultracruiser. I may just put the RW-2 project on the back burner for a time and see how I feel about going forward with it in a month or so, and in the meantime go back to work on the Hummel UC once again.

Lynn
    Lynn, In the boating world we call this MBS (Multiple Boat Syndrome) I think you have a severe case of the MAS (Multiple Aircraft Syndrome)

I'm not judging at all....Maybe a little jealous

I have my own Multiple airplanes that I would like to build....just gotta get the Mini-max done first......

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glad to see you guys building.....keep up the good work.

Is anyone building a RW19 or RW20 at this time?