Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any Ragwing Projects here?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Any Ragwing Projects here?

Hi Jake,
    I had a look at the 701 Zenith and yes they look very intersting. I was thinking of starting with the fuselage and then go to tail and wings. Still figuring out engines, but will a trike landing gear also. Just went through an intersting thread about ply ribs, may go that route. http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/fo...oden-wing.html
    Last edited by email; December 15th, 2015 at 12:35 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jake,
    When do you think you will start building, I was thinking of starting on the tail also, that way we can exchange ideas.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am gathering material, got some plywood, looking for fir and spruce, holding off on Aircraft Spruce to avoid prices but is going to happen. For the next several months about all I can do in the shop is cut material, the only gluing will be in one bedroom, so ribs etc will be it. Meanwhile shopping, for material . I really like that Zenith 701 wing, the designer of it has an excellent book, Flying on Your Own Wings, available through Amazon, so that's going to be the wing. I am also going to the tandem configuration but in 40" width. Over the next couple months all of this has to come together. I have the plans enlarged but am going to get some in full size for the wing, fuselage and tail.

One thing I haven't nailed down is the engine, I know where there is a 2si, like used for the prototype, but its max 70 hp. I'd like to find an 80hp.

Where are you on yours?
    Jake Levi

We are all in this together.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just downloaded the plans for the RW19 & 20 last night.....haven't had a chance to really go over them yet but was wondering if anyone had an idea of how helpful the videos are,and what material they actually cover.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just downloaded the plans for the RW19 & 20 last night.....haven't had a chance to really go over them yet but was wondering if anyone had an idea of how helpful the videos are,and what material they actually cover.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry for the double post.....dumb smart phone....or possibly operator error.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got all of the videos, the build ones have a lot of bad sections, they do show some good portions, but overall I am very disappointed in them.
    Jake Levi

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re engines, I have been checking Barnstormers almost every day and do see a number of engines up to 80hp that will work. The prototype was flown with a 70 hp 2si. An 80 hp should get off on those steep takeoffs well.
    Jake Levi

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Levi View Post
    I got all of the videos, the build ones have a lot of bad sections, they do show some good portions...
    I've found this to be almost universally true -- I'm just happy that folks find it worth their while to keep these legacy designs available (in many cases decades after they were first offered, and many weren't terribly profitable even "back when..."). Contemporary plans designs cost far more and of course usually offer a lot of detail that older builders didn't have access to -- had to adapt from their knowledge, experience or local sources.

Anyway, I've ordered the Roger Mann vids and even if I never build one, they'll sit with my Sonerai and Teenie-Two, Kitfox and others that look marginal compared to the contemporary offerings -- still, where else will I get the plans or other information on them... I'm just please that some of these older and well-proven, designs are still available -- Sonerai, Hi/Mini-Max, Teenie-Two, Ragwing, MiniCoupe, Zippy-Sport, various Rutan, Cougar and others all the way down to the STOL-King, Baby Lakes and the Meyer Little Toot and another dozen or so homebuilder designs that came and (almost) went before being smothered by the upscale offerings; the CNC, second-mortgage, quick-build, builder assistance, kits... I'd need three lifetimes to build all the legacy plans I have, and have had the benefit of, but thank goodness for folks keeping them available... I'm sure it's a labor of love since I doubt they really make any money from them.

As to the Stork Ragwing variants -- Hmmmm, looks made to order for a 670 Rotax...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As I mentioned earlier, if you want a detailed ......and I mean highly detailed set of plans
    to build a 3/4 scale Storch, spend the money for a set of Pazmany PL-9 plans. When they
    arrive you will realize why they aren't cheap. You don't have to spend additional money
    for enlarged drawings because they are huge when you remove them from the box they
    are shipped in. They don't come in a tube because they won't fit in one and there are
    too many sheets. Each sheet is about eight feet long. You don't need to buy videos because
    the info is all there on the drawings. Pazmany wrote several books and was well known for
    his technical knowledge and he derived his scale model from original archive information
    and research rather than just general configuration information. Sometimes it's better to
    spend more money up front than to spend more money later.

11. Likes dcstrng liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I still haven't had time to go over the plans thoroughly,but I did get a chance to do a quick scan of them.
    I have one nagging question about the design that maybe someone can answer for me.....
    If the RW19 is designed to be flown solo from the back seat to keep it within CG limits ..what happens to the CG in the RW20 when both people are sitting in the front seat?.....how has this been addressed with the design between the two seating arrangements?

I don't want to turn this into an engine thread and if this question is better suited to the (2-stroke) thread,then I will ask it there,but I think this subject pertains to the aircraft enough to address it here.
    What are some of the opinions on engines like the 670 and 740.......etc?
    I've been out of ultralight and experimental aircraft for several years and have been flying GA aircraft so I have fallen behind when it comes to the engine scene.
    Back when I was flying ultralights....the 377,447,503 and 582 were the acceptable engines to have,with the 503 being the leader in proven reliability.
    The Rotax 583,Kawasaki 440 and any Cuyuna were considered a means to get you to the forced landing site.
    I've been doing some reading on the new Rotax/Bombardier big bore engines and the information looks promising.
    Opinions?

13. Likes Jake Levi liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

dcstrng......I built a Zippy-Sport several years back,it was a very interesting design...
    It flew great even with low hp....but bolt on some cubic inches/displacement in front and it would fly like a homesick angel.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MadProfessor8138 View Post
    dcstrng......I built a Zippy-Sport several years back,it was a very interesting design... it would fly like a homesick angel.
    Great design, wish I had built one when I first saw it... Oshkosh, early 90s... have had the plans for some time (work of art in themselves...), but never pulled the trigger for some unfathomable reason...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MadProfessor8138 View Post
    I still haven't had time to go over the plans thoroughly,but I did get a chance to do a quick scan of them.
    I have one nagging question about the design that maybe someone can answer for me.....
    If the RW19 is designed to be flown solo from the back seat to keep it within CG limits ..what happens to the CG in the RW20 when both people are sitting in the front seat?.....how has this been addressed with the design between the two seating arrangements?
    What are some of the opinions on engines like the 670 and 740.......etc?
    I've been out of ultralight and experimental aircraft for several years and have been flying GA aircraft so I have fallen behind when it comes to the engine scene.
    Back when I was flying ultralights....the 377,447,503 and 582 were the acceptable engines to have,with the 503 being the leader in proven reliability.I don't want to turn this into an engine thread and if this question is better suited to the (2-stroke) thread,then I will ask it there,but I think this subject pertains to the aircraft enough to address it here.

The Rotax 583,Kawasaki 440 and any Cuyuna were considered a means to get you to the forced landing site.
    I've been doing some reading on the new Rotax/Bombardier big bore engines and the information looks promising.
    Opinions?

The 19 is a tandem, and the 20 is a side by side, to help on the COG most fly the 19 from the back seat, in the 20 with only one seat it goes over the center of gravity. I am going to do it with a nose wheel rather then TD so the 20 works well with the nose wheel.

I am open on the engine, 70-85 hp, whichever is most affordable. Jake
    Jake Levi

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Levi View Post
    The 19 is a tandem, and the 20 is a side by side, to help on the COG most fly the 19 from the back seat, in the 20 with only one seat it goes over the center of gravity...
    It is clear that Roger wrestled with the CG issue from his vids – by flying it himself and moving seating and ballast around; I’m content he worked through the safe CG envelop. I rather immersed myself in the Mann videos over the last weekend end (for nostalgia sake – if nothing else).

Of the five videos (Stork and Classic – an occasional VHS-to-DVD glitch here and there to be sure, but not the reputed marginal quality I was anticipating based on internet lore… ), I have one DVD to go, so maybe there will be a specific answer hidden there… One of the things I saw in the Classic vids was the notion of simply sitting the engine on the mount rails and moving it to where it was needed for proper balance; then drilling and bolting it down – a concept I also heard from Ron Dixon (MiniCoupe/Teenie Two – life was simpler before computers simplified our lives). I didn’t follow RagWing back in the day, but two things were clear; Roger was thoughtful and anything but foolhardy (you’ll generally see the BRS installed as soon as the engine is) and he was a fanatic for lightweight construction – almost every craft in my limited experience is obese by comparison – was an educational weekend !!

18. Likes ekimneirbo, steveair2 liked this post