Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any Ragwing Projects here?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Any Ragwing Projects here?

Tell me more about your engine of choice? I see the specs call for a 70-80 hp 2 stroke. What engine do you plan to use and what weight and horsepower and approximate cost ? Reduction drive type and cost ?
    Everyone should have a dream. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPZh4AnWyk

And be thankful to those people who gave you the opportunity to fulfill your dream. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bWIRVcOYzw

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was going to go with a 2si which is what was used in the prototype, but considering a VW or Corvair for ~ 10-15hp more.

I'll be looking all winter while cutting material and doing some gluing in a spare bedroom. No hurry on the engine, I am looking at ~ $ 3500-4000 for the bare plane, hoping for an engine somewhere around $4500. The panel will be the basic 8, and add to it.

Other expenses too so I am expecting around $12,000 when flying. Hope to get it done within 2 years before my SS runs out.
    Jake Levi

We are all in this together.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I received videos from Ragwing the other day, 2 on the building of the RW 20, and another freebie of flying of the Stork and the RW 26 sport biplane, the R 26 is a beautiful little biplane and looks like a lot of fun. You can find the videos on the Ragwing Aeroplane site. And specs on all of his planes.
    Jake Levi

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Levi View Post
    I received videos from Ragwing the other day, 2 on the building of the RW 20, and another freebie of flying of the Stork and the RW 26 sport biplane, the R 26 is a beautiful little biplane and looks like a lot of fun. You can find the videos on the Ragwing Aeroplane site. And specs on all of his planes.
    A couple of things I would think about before proceeding. First is the use of a two stroke engine. You won't have the longivity of a four stroke. You will have
    less hp than with a Corvair and will need a reduction drive of some type.$$$ Corvair needs no reduction drive and can be built reasonably cheaply. There will
    be a smoother flying and quiter machine with the four stroke engine. I have to wonder about the accuracy of the specs shown as the tandem and side by side
    show the same weights. I would also be concerned about hauling two people with full fuel tanks. Everything seems to be stretched to the max to achieve the
    quoted performance. On the other hand, a little more investment provides an airplane with the ability to easily meet those goals. The Paz will fly OK with the
    same Corvair engine and you could look for places to lighten it...rather than trying to improve the strength of the liteweight airplane.

And be thankful to those people who gave you the opportunity to fulfill your dream. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bWIRVcOYzw

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have ruled out the 2si engine, have plenty of time to look around and choose the engine. Right now the main focus is building a sound plane. My build is very likely to be heavier.
    Jake Levi

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have ruled out the 2si engine, have plenty of time to look around and choose the engine. Right now the main focus is building a sound plane. My build is very likely to be heavier.
    Here is the thing I have found out in life. If you try to build something inexpensively, you can often accomplish your goal but it will usually require lots of extra work instead of money.
    Some builders try to be ultrafrugal and the build becomes more about "how cheaply can I do it". Sometimes you actually save a little money by spending a little more money initially.

I would recommend that you decide what you really would like to have when you are done. I'm not saying a "money is no object" financially impossible airplane.
    What I am saying is that "within reason" even if it strains your finances, what would you really like to have when its complete. If you are choosing something that
    is structurally questionable for your engine and needs, and plan to strengthen it, you will find it often doesn't work out the way you hoped.
    I think its much better to spend a little more money initially and get something that is designed for your needs or exceeds your needs. There are almost always
    ways to lighten an airplane if needed, but usually what happens is the actual airplane comes out heavier than expected. Wants,needs,choices by the builder
    almost always ADD weight, then the modified lightweight becomes questionable structurally. I would err on the side of safety rather than financially.

7. Likes Battler Britton liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good points, over the past 50 years I have encountered most of these.

I have the plans, and have been studying them, plus some videos, I am sure it would finish well within the gross weight. I am also looking at a couple others with the STOL wing, the Mini Max is one, I like its Hi Max. Much to think about, while gathering material.

The engine will be the 4 stroke, most likely a VW, Corvair a possibility, it depends on what I can get it for that will do what I want.
    Jake Levi

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    A couple of things I would think about before proceeding. First is the use of a two stroke engine. You won't have the longivity of a four stroke. You will have
    less hp than with a Corvair and will need a reduction drive of some type.$$$ Corvair needs no reduction drive and can be built reasonably cheaply. There will
    be a smoother flying and quiter machine with the four stroke engine. I have to wonder about the accuracy of the specs shown as the tandem and side by side
    show the same weights. I would also be concerned about hauling two people with full fuel tanks. Everything seems to be stretched to the max to achieve the
    quoted performance. On the other hand, a little more investment provides an airplane with the ability to easily meet those goals. The Paz will fly OK with the
    same Corvair engine and you could look for places to lighten it...rather than trying to improve the strength of the liteweight airplane.
    The tandem and side by side are just about the same amount of material, the tandem has a little longer fuselage and the side by side is 3" wider. That's why the same total weights. That was to get the right weight and balance for each model.
    Jake Levi

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The tandem and side by side are just about the same amount of material, the tandem has a little longer fuselage and the side by side is 3" wider. That's why the same total weights. That was to get the right weight and balance for each model.
    Jake, when I look at the specs as posted on the site, I have to wonder about them. They show the same wing width for both tandem and side by side. If you widen the fuselage then either the wingspan would get wider or the wings would get shorter to keep the same width. The length of the fuselage also remains the same in both versions. Its possible that there is sufficient room to accomodate a rear passenger without lengthening the fuselage, but you would need someway to allow passenger entry, so I would think a larger door area might be needed. With the tandem seating, the weight/balance of the airplane will be significantly different than side by side.The elevator will be somewhat less effective with a rear passenger unless the elevator is enlarged or the fuselage lengthened. I'm not saying it isn't an acceptable change where the airplane flies just fine either way, but it seems rather less than professional for the company to post
    the same exact specs for both versions. If its only a minor difference, then they should take the time to document it. In the case of the wingspan, there definitely has to be some difference there if you widen the fuselage.
    I didn't see anything about the fuselage actual width. Adding 3" isn't much for accomodating a passenger. How wide is the fuselage as shown on the plans?

RagWing Aircraft Design, plans for proven replica models

Here is something I hijacked from another thread.

http://dad.walterfamily.org/rv/TonyB...modations.html
    Last edited by Eagle; November 25th, 2015 at 09:38 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the links, I have all of Tony's books, they are my go-to sources.

I have the plans now in the pdf, next week getting them printed out in 2' by 3' and full size versions. Fwiw, I am also considering his Gypsy Moth and have the plans. I'll be looking at all of them this winter, while I am getting material, my main time through March is going to be building hours, including transitioning to tail dragger. And adding to the shop/organizing etc. And looking at engines ~ 84 hp.

Thanks for the input, its appreciated. I don't want to leave anything unconsidered. Thankfully my 3 flight instructors are all certified A & Ps. With multiple ratings. Its great finding a place like this, even if it is a 3 hr drive, no one hour sessions and a week between. Its a solid days worth. When its ready I can put the engine there on a mount and check it out thoroughly. When the build is ready for FAA inspections I can have it done first by them, then the EAA before the FAA. Step by step.
    Jake Levi

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the links, I have all of Tony's books, they are my go-to sources.

I have the plans now in the pdf, next week getting them printed out in 2' by 3' and full size versions. Fwiw, I am also considering his Gypsy Moth and have the plans. I'll be looking at all of them this winter, while I am getting material, my main time through March is going to be building hours, including transitioning to tail dragger. And adding to the shop/organizing etc. And looking at engines ~ 84 hp.

Thanks for the input, its appreciated. I don't want to leave anything unconsidered. Thankfully my 3 flight instructors are all certified A & Ps. With multiple ratings. Its great finding a place like this, even if it is a 3 hr drive, no one hour sessions and a week between. Its a solid days worth. When its ready I can put the engine there on a mount and check it out thoroughly. When the build is ready for FAA inspections I can have it done first by them, then the EAA before the FAA. Step by step.
    A bad typo, the RW bipe is the Tiger Moth , not Gypsy Moth.
    jake
    Jake Levi

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bmcj View Post
    That's a real beauty, alas and alack the flying season is too short without a canopy. But, ya never know.
    Jake Levi

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good day,
    Glad I found this thread, I also am very interested in building a rw-20, just bought the plans and video (out of stock today) so I need to start to study them. I have never built an airplane so a bit of an illiterate on the subject. Only two things going for me; I was a draftsmen while going through college so I can read plans, lol. And have a pilots licence, good luck with the rest.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have their videos, I wouldn't recommend them, very poorly done. A couple of the RW20 scenes help clarify but that's all. I now have enlarged study plans for both and lean towards the RW20 Stork. Or the RW19, then tandem seat model. I will have full size plan printed when I get ready to lay out the fuselage and wigs. My 'ace in hole' for building is my instructors are A&Ps. Slowly slowly.
    Jake Levi